Are subs worth the price for music?

My current speakers are Vandersteen 3A's. I consider them to have a good, solid low end. Specs say 26hz, -3db, if I remember. That's lower than most any music. I'm considering adding a vandy sub, possibly two to the system. My question is, for strictly music, are subs even worth while...$$$......if so, why? What could I expect that's different and/or better than what I'm already hearing..............No experience with subs and music, so forgive the lame question for those of you who already use them.
shadowcat2016
@shadowcat2016 ....

Mostly just wondering how a sub or subs would improve/change what I’m hearing now since I’ve never experienced it in my system.
Based on your musical tastes and your components/cables...
- if the subs are setup "correctly: - i.e. to augment the Vandi’s - then I doubt the subs would provide too much of an improvement, because "normal music" seldom has frequencies below 26Hz anyway
- however, if you are after "true realism" e.g. to hear the LFE’s of a truck rolling past the recording venue (sometimes present on live concert recordings) then the subs "may provide" some benefit.

Adding subs on a two channel system such as your own is all a matter of personal preference.

FYI - my speakers are rated at 28Hz and I hear the trucks rolling by on a couple of recordings, so I have never considered adding subs. I also like Pipe Organ music, which already shakes the walls, so again - no need for subs

LFE’s, which is what subs are really designed to reproduce, are not really present in most music - unless you like to hear the Digital Cannons at their absolute best on the Telarc version of the 1812 overture :-)

If I had an urge to see what LFE’s were present in music I would probably opt to upgrade to a speaker that can handle a lower frequency, simply because the designers have gone to the trouble of ensuring a flat frequency response. It saves me the time and effort of setting up sub’s, which, from what I have experienced and read,  most people find "challenging"

Personally, I would spend all that cash elswhere.

Regards - Steve

IMO, it will depend on your room size.( Very large and it is a definite, very small...maybe not so much-or at all) With Vandy 3A's, I believe you could certainly get some nice bottom end extension and an increase in dynamic portrayal with a smallish and decent sub. I would think a REL or a JL. Like another member stated above, room acoustic treatment will be beneficial and I would add that first. I would start out with one sub, as adding two is a much more difficult set-up and may not be necessary in your room and for your tastes. 
Worth it? 
Your speaker designer / manufacture certainly thinks so. Even though some of his speaker are equipped with separate equalized low frequency systems they are often showed with his outboard subwoofers and has just introduced a new model. Vandersteen and his dealers understand low frequency reproduction. An outboard Vandy sub will be compatible with your 3As and any future Vandersteen mains upgrade. You can't lose.

-3dB @26Hz. 
Most rooms need that -3dB compensated for. Your room may need a flat low frequency or an increase of +db. The main speakers locations are usually not the best locations for low frequency output to integrate with the room despite the speakers designed ability. The room usually dictates where the location of low frequency origination should be. These locations usually provide a better response at the listening position and a reduction in the rooms bass nodes. 

What can you can expect?
If setup properly you should hear very little difference until you turn the sub/s off. The low frequencies will integrate with your speakers and you should hear improved separation. Integration with your room in the form of seamless increased low frequency gain as it was recorded and not falling off. You'll be surprised at the amount of low frequency that is actually recorded on a variety of recordings. Hearing it well presented in your room is what the subwoofer does.

Lastly, its simply way more fun.        
Thanks for the inputs folks................I remember some years ago with a dealer demoing a small pair of B&W speakers and an attached sub. I listened for a bit and then had him turn off the sub. There was a difference, but not earth shaking and I doubt the monitors could get much below 50-60 hz without the sub running. I guess on most music what I'm getting from the 3A's is about as good as it NEEDS to be 90% of the time.

Don't really need to hear the semi rolling by the studio outside :)

I'll play with my setup and treatments a bit and see if there's more to be gained in that respect...........Cheap and easy way out...............Maybe I'll keep an eye on Ebay for some Vandy subs..........Christmas is coming :)

Happy listening!!
I used to be in the @williewonka camp, but I've since gained a much deeper appreciation for what subs bring to the table after hearing demos in a couple different systems.  Both systems were high end with expensive full-range speakers, and in both instances the systems started out with subs engaged and sounded fantastic.  Then the subs were turned off and it was amazing how much changed.  Obviously bass dynamics were not as impactful, but what was really surprising was that in both cases there was a significant reduction in perceived air and space, and the whole soundstage compressed and sounded like it had a lot of the life just sucked out of it.  I had no desire to listen to either system without the subs after that.  I can't explain exactly why subs seem to significantly impact aspects of sound other than just bass, but they do.  Anyway, for those who still think subs are there to create rumble and handle pipe organs should seriously think again.  And with the growing number of processors out there to take the pain out of sub integration this has become a no brainer for me.  Plus there are direct sellers like SVS that give you a 45-day trial period so you can see if I'm a liar with little or no risk.  There's a reason Wilson builds $25,000 subs, and it ain't just to pair with Duettes or Sabrinas.  Anyway, FWIW.