Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

Right On! dsper

"Virtuoso" is an excellent disc to test any system.  Happy Listening!

tomthiel

Good to see you. Thank You, as always, for the valuable information.

Happy Listening!

Hey Guys, I am lurking around the forum, despite having sold all my gear, including a pair of CS6's and 2.4's, in a frenzy of "downsizing". I now maintain two houses, one in Taos, and a "garden home" in Midland, neither of which has any sounds at all.
 disper, I never found anything that would drive my CS5's; 
I am now starting over, and I might as well begin with an amp. I'll take a look at the Coda, for sure.
I will say that the best sound I ever got was my 2.4's with the fpb 300 Krell. 

michaeljbrown

good to see you again. Keep us posted when you get back into your next pair of Thiel loudspeakers.  Happy Listening!

Hi y'all,

Been enjoying semi-regular lurking on these pages.

Maybe this is plain enough and not in the scope of the discussion about other creative ways one might get or get close to good SSx time alignments. I have a pair of 3.7s mated with a pair of SS1s positioned behind each a couple of feet. I use a Behringer DCX2496 (Ric Schultz modded) as a crossover controller (ahead of power amp and SS1s) plugging into the SS1s normal inputs.

I have chosen a second order filter slope at 80 Hz. Second order as a compromise between the Thiel loved first order and thinking to get the energy to fall off a little quicker to avoid much power going to the passive radiators—maybe muddying the possibly purer SS1 lows.

I looked at the (main speakers) delay that would be by calculations appropriate for a sum of the SS1 behind positions and the delay at Xf for the second order slope. I dialed in that number and tweaked it (only a small amount needed) until the SPL response at 80 was peaked indicating good time alignment there. (and of course set the relative levels by looking at plots of low frequency sweeps)

Seems like there may be a couple of nuances to this line of thinking that I’m neglecting to recall but w/o digging back into my couple years old notes, that is the essence...

I have been pleased with the results. Bass is well integrated sounding, particularly on transients and particularly when compared with either a DCX zero delay file or the fourth order behavior of the Thiel PX05s I started with.

Cheers, John