Is It Possible?

Help!!!

Is it possible for a pair of Quad63 sounds better than a pair of Focal Utopia Scala I?  I am was using the Scala in my system and was very happy with the overall result, except for an occasionally bright sound on certain recordings.  I recently bought a pair of non-working Quad63 at a garage sale for $250, had them serviced for about $650.  I was going to use the quad in my office for background music, but I decided to have a A/B test against my beloved Scala.  I almost fell of my chair when heard what came out of the Quad. The vocals and the instruments just came alive, especially the female's voice.  The only advantage I gave to the Scala was the soundstage, which is wider and a little deeper than the Quad.  How can this be?  What am I doing wrong with the Scala?  How can a pair of $900 speakers sounds much better, in my opinion, than a pair of speakers that cost me almost $25,000?

myaudio168
May I ask where in Sacramento?  I live here and I take some things to Skip’s Music for service.  I wonder if there is a good high end electronics guy?
myaudio168,

It is possible to like something relatively obsolete (no, I have nothing against Quad speakers, but they are not the newest model) more than a brand new one. Having said that, enjoy your new old speakers, but keep Focals for a bit more. Infatuation rarely lasts a lifetime, no matter how pretty the subject is. If it is a love of your life, you got double lucky. Not only was it affordable, but also "the right one". Or two, I guess.
No surprise. After listening to one for awhile - there's Quad stats ...and everything else.
whart,

Yep I agree.

My desire for the palpability factor would probably lead me toward horns of some sort (though Lowther speakers can have this factor as well).  And in fact I'd love to be able to try some.   Unfortunately horns are just a bad fit in terms of size and requirements for my room, so I don't see it ever happening unfortunately.   I get a very nice sense of palpability from my Thiel 2.7 speakers though.

Analogluvr

I am your newest fan. Brilliantly stated! I totally agree!

Also I wish to say "hats off to the old schoolers"! There have been advances in a few areas of HEA, but there has also been many holes created with some of the newer designed drivers. I'm being very generous when saying advances in HEA.

Michael Green