Autoformer vs Speaker impedance Curve

Autoformers vs speakers with wild impedance curve swings (for instance; MC601 amp paired with B&W 802D3 speakers).

There’s a wealth of information about tube amp audio transformers interaction with speaker impedance, but I can’t find anything regarding Autoformer and speaker impedance/phase curve relationships. 

Can any techies enlighten me? 

Thanks!

(I tacked a similar post onto the end of a 10 year old thread but thought I might get a few more hits with a new thread.  Sorry for the redundancy)

73max
+1 Eric (bdp24).

We are privileged to have highly experienced and accomplished designers of outstanding audio electronics, such as Ralph and Roger, sharing their knowledge with us here.

Best regards,
-- Al 
@ramtubes
Hello Roger, welcome to the forum. Thanks for your posts!
We used to make an autoformer we called the Z-Music autoformer, which had taps for 4,3,2 and 1 ohm loads. With it, Steven Stone of TAS was able to listen to his Apogee Full Range loudspeakers with tubes for the first time. Although the Full Range had a very low impedance (not much more than 1 ohm) they were otherwise easy to drive as they had no serious phase angles and were reasonable efficiency.
I think you and I are on the same page here- if an amplifier is acting as a voltage source, it really doesn't matter if it has an autoformer in its output section, especially as in the case of the Mac, which includes the device in its feedback loop. If its a voltage paradigm device, it will make constant voltage into all (practical) loads by definition.

ramtubes
Second, modern SS amps already have good current capability and low output impedance. They "don’t need any help"

And I’ll add to that, they will also make that amp sound worse if used, as I’ve proved to myself with 3 or 4 amps that were very capable without the autoformers, they made the amps sound like they were cushioned, like looking through opaque glass instead of clear glass.

They are for amps "that need help", but I say save your money and get the right amp instead, or change the speaker to one that the amp in question is happy with.

Cheers George