The Truth about Modern Class D

All my amps right now are Class D. ICEpower in the living room, and NAD D 3020 in the bedroom.

I’ve had several audiophiles come to my home and not one has ever said "Oh, that sounds like Class D."

Having said this, if I could afford them AND had the room, I’d be tempted to switch for a pair of Ayre monoblocks or Conrad Johnson Premiere 12s and very little else.

I’m not religious about Class D. They sound great for me, low power, easy to hide, but if a lot of cash and the need to upgrade ever hits me, I could be persuaded.

The point: Good modern Class D amps just sound like really good amplifiers, with the usual speaker/source matching issues.

You don’t have to go that route, but it’s time we shrugged off the myths and descriptions of Class D that come right out of the 1980’s.
erik_squires
There is no reason an active speaker cannot be an audiophile grade product. We are at the beginning of this technology. There is Dynaudio, Genelec, Kii, KEF and very few others.
I sat in the same seat as the presenter used to tune the $14k Kii system from, and listened to 2 known songs that I had with me, and I was outter there.
To my senses it was like a surgical knife dissecting the music, that’s the only way I can describe it.
The same happened at the Uno ZERO 1 XD demo.

Maybe the future, but not yet.

Cheers George
@phomchick
what I mean is that the active speakers with  D amperage are barely getting sold compared to non active speakers, because they still severely lag behind non active speakers in sales and use. (Except younger folks who find commercial all in one products satisfactory). Therefore, foretelling a utopic all in one Class D speaker in the audiophile community in the near future, IMO, is way way overly optimistic. 

I mean, we can’t even get George to accept Class D even at its simplest face value! :)
@erik_squires 

helomech -

So you heard Parasound and Devialet amps on Magnepans and did not like the Devialet.

That is 1 single sample of a specific Class D amplifier you did not like. Is that correct?
Maybe you didn't read through my other posts in their entirety, but no, I've heard many class D amps I didn't like, including but not limited to Devialet, NADs new M class, the Rogue hybrids, Bel Cantos, Audio Alchemy, Peachtree Novas and countless mobile audio amplifiers. I know I left off a few, but anyhow, the one trait they all shared was a sort of analytical (maybe "sterile" is a better description) presentation. For me, they just suck the soul out of music. One reason I no longer listen in my car - has a factory "premium" system powered by class D.
I mean, we can’t even get George to accept Class D even at its simplest face value! :)

I do accept it, but not in competition to hiend audio yet, they make great bass/upper bass amps so far.

And I’ve said it all along I’ll be the first to dump my stinking hot, heavy, inefficient, boat anchors. When they’ve got rid of their problem/s, that Technics with the $30k SE-R1 have semi addressed with their 1.5mHz switching speed power amp, 3 x times higher than what’s around at present, then the (switching noise) output filter can do it’s job properly without effecting the audio bands upper mids and highs that so many hear, and owners can't!.

I see threads like this "looking for the truth" started as a "reach out for confirmation" from owners who know their Class-D’s are not quite right, but can’t bring himself to go back to linear, almost like begging for forgiveness, for what they have done and everything will hopefully be fine.

Cheers George
Do you have any recommended class D amps at certain price points or maybe at what price point do class D amps start to be better than other amps at the same price range?

For example, NAD 368 is better than Marantz PM7005 at the 1k-800usd price point.