Good Achtung Baby CD? I got a bad one.

Achtung Baby is probably my favorite US album. When it first came out I had it on cassette tape. Then, years later acquired it via iTunes. Always listened to it on OEM car stereos or low end systems.

Now that I've got my high end system I do not like the SQ of the standard compressed iTunes version. So I did a little research on the dynamic range web site dr. loudness-war and purchased a cheaply priced copy of the Island Records CD (314-510 347-2, cat # D125174) that rated pretty highly on that site in regard to dynamic range anyway.

Well, it does not sound good. Way too bass heavy and bass is a muddy wall of background noise, midrange and vocals seem lost in it all, treble is okay. It seems like the dynamic range is concentrated in the high and low ends. I noticed on the CD that it was "Manufactured for BMG Direct Marketing, Inc." I'm assuming this was a club CD. It was new (old stock). Don't know if that might be part of the problem or not.

I compared it to Tidal's high res version (but just from my laptop to pre-amp via RCA cord, no DAC) and even that sounded better than the CD but still not great in my opinion.

So I'm wondering, who has a CD of this album that they like? I do not have an SACD player or BluRay. Or do all the CD versions sound so-so? That would be surprising for a band like U2 but still possible I guess. Any recommendations much appreciated.

George

n80
n80, I use Google...eg, best Pink Floyd CD remasters Steve Hoffman. Or, Best Led Zeppelin original CD Steve Hoffman.

You'll find  a couple threads this way.

Not sure Achtung Baby was ever made with a refined presentation---seems they were going for a raw, powerful effect.  That, it does have.  
I joined the Steve Hoffman site and posted about this. There seems to be a consensus that this is just how that album was produced. 

It seems like I remember hearing that U2 was influenced (among other things) by electric dance music which is, from the little I've heard, totally bass driven to the point that the bass has an atmospheric quality. So maybe that explains things.

Clearly my taste has grown away from bass heavy music. I can tolerate it as long as it is distinguishable. On the first two tracks of this album you can't differentiate the kick drum over the bass guitar and the bass guitar notes are hardly distinguishable one from another.

Its a shame. I think the songs on this album are great and the lyrics are simply incredible on almost every song. Maybe one of my favorite albums in terms of lyrics. Just amazing. But now I don't really want to listen on my new system.

I guess I can still enjoy it in the car on with ear buds while on my tractor.
It's U2, what do you expect. All their recordings suck. And most of the music too......