How do you store and catalog your vinyl?

Just curious how members store, sort and catalog their vinyl collection.
With less than a 1000 I have a hard time remembering just what I already own and have purchased duplicates by mistake whilst at the LRS.

How do you store them?
How do you sort them? Alphabetical or genre or year?
Catalog? In the good old days probably in a note book modern equivalent would be a word document or excel spreadsheet.

Very interested to hear what you do and how you manage that massive collection.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xuberwaltz
I've cleaned a bunch of my vinyl and only play those (and clean as needed from the rest), allowing just those to escape the clutches of my having alphabetized everything. So there's two categories among my vinyl: Clean and random, and not cleaned but organized.
@bdp24 Not quite. It is the laziest way of grouping the records! Seriously, Because they are in record store style layout, I just pick what I want. I couldn't do bookcase. It would drive me nuts. Sometimes albums go AWOL. I have the entire basement with the primary rig, pool table area, workshop area, and rec area with 2nd rig.
Records are stored library/bookcase method in modular Per Madsen record racks. They are arranged alpha within basic genre categories: pop/rock, blues, jazz, classical, etc. Record dividers by Koeppel Design (guilty pleasure) are utilized. Total collection is down to a little over 1,000 records. Although well-organized, I’m still more than capable of having a “moment” and purchasing something I already own…
@tubegb

Lol

Glad its not just me then!

I suppose I should catalog them, add to a spreadsheet and have a copy on my phone. That way when perusing my LRS I can check if I already have it.

But I am too lazy so far and rely on memory which gets a little rusty with the years it seems!