Can someone point me in the right direction? LP player / Preamp / Dragonfly Red...

Relative newbie here.  I want to add a TT and start enjoying Vinyl.  Was looking at the AT-LP120 and have been reading up on pros/cons.  The built in preamp seems to be a low point, many have removed it though.  If I were to got this route, could I then input the sound directly into my iMac and out through my Dragonfly Red to my Amp?  

I have pretty descent sound right now from Audirvana / Dragonfly Red / (Sony 2 channel Amp (next upgrade) / Infinity Kappa 8.1's

Or should I output the LP player directly to the Amp?

Thanks for any guidance!
aqueousaris
Just to be clear, you cant input a TT into your iMac and use the Mac as your controller. This is only done when somebody wants to convert vinyl to an audio file by using a A/D converter.

That's some info I was looking for - thanks!  Guess I need to start with the amp...  

Anyone know of a NEW amp that will play nice with my Infinity Kappa 8.1's.  They are 6 ohm but I hear they can drop to 2 ohm when pushed.  My research so far has led me to the Onkyo A-9010.  Oh, budget around $400...
They are 6 ohm, but really act more like a 4 ohm speaker with such a demanding load. The Onkyo specs only show a rating for 8 ohms. This usually means the amp doesn't have the power/current required to drive power hungry speakers like the Kappas. The 8.1 specs state a minimum of 50 watts.

What is the size of your room? And how did the Kappa's respond to your Sony?

I read that the Onkyo was stable down to 4 ohm.  And I thought I read the wattage would be closer to 66 WPC @ 4 ohm from that amp (I'm no Ohm wizard though)

Room size is 11x20 (with speakers on the short wall about 6" from each corner slightly angled in).  They respond pretty well to the Sony, which is supposedly 100WPC @ 8ohm.  

I've read everything from give them 300W to a 44WPC will make them thump.  Its very confusing...

You're right, specs vary online.
This one has a rating of 70w into 4 ohms.
https://www.cnet.com/news/low-costhigh-performance-contender-onkyo-a-9010-integrated-amplifier/

I think the real issue is that the Kappa's are more demanding than a 4 ohm speaker. I dont see an impedance curve which would show how often there is a demand for high power/current.
  The Onkyo will certainly drive your speakers, but you may be missing out on detail and texture in the bass frequencies. It's possible that the speaker's demand during peaks and transients may push the amp into clipping, which is distortion.

With this combo you are at the very minimum of what the speakers demand. Have you looked at the next model up the ladder?, I forget the model number.