Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Funny how we tend to see what we want to see, and ignore what doesn’t fit our political agenda. From the same Wiki article:

**** all linked by the common bonds of African-American and European-American musical parentage ****

Parentage:

a : descent from parents or ancestors : lineage

And, as with most Wiki articles, this is just scratching the surface. Btw, the person who was “right” (Not!), was the same person who incessantly ridiculed the person who was “wrong” (Not!) for being foolish enough to quote a Wiki article. I hereby hand over the coveted and previously held title of “Wikiman” 😊
inna and o10, I've had a similar experience with a genetic memory.  Long time readers of Stereophile may remember when Sam Tellig promoted his tours of Russia.  I was part of his last one in the fall of 1991.  Part of the tour included a couple of days in Odessa.  There I had a strange feeling of familiarity, even thinking I might recognize someone on the street.  Well my paternal great-grandfather was from Ukraine, so who knows?

And o10 you likely know you can identify some of your heritage through DNA testing.

Concerning Django, an artist I've enjoyed since my initial exposure to jazz, who is to say even if Jimmy Reese was instrumental (!) in introducing American jazz to Europe, that he influenced Reinhardt?  Or that Reinhardt even ever heard him?  That's really going out on a limb.  Frog's "My brother!" reference has much more substance.

Isn’t it amazing how every time The Frogman opens his mouth, all his little minions, as if on cue, jump in with support. Brings to mind, the North Korean military on parade. I actually LOL.

*****Frog’s "My brother!" reference has much more substance.*****

What a silly thing to say. I probably shouted "my brother" when I first heard Coltrane, and I can’t play a lick.

Wiki --

Before debating any article, first, determine who wrote it. I can quote any Book, from the Bible to Mein Kampf. It don’t mean a thing. EVERYONE has an agenda. Especially The Frogman.

***** if Jimmy Reese was instrumental (!) in introducing American jazz to Europe, that he influenced Reinhardt? Or that Reinhardt even ever heard him? *****

See, this is a good example of the twisted logic these folks use. Django never heard of Reese, therefore he could not be influenced by him, (BS btw) BUT, every Jazz player in New Orleans was ’influenced’ by every person and group on planet earth. I didn’t know they were such world travelers.

Insidious -- having a gradual and cumulative effect. Subtle.

When reading any article about Jazz or Black music in general, remember this word. INSIDIOUS.

Examples in the recent articles.

"European Military Band Music".

European Military Bands? There were billions of marching bands in New Orleans, both black and white. Hell, Sousa might still have been alive. He was director of the US Marine Corps Band. The US Military has hundreds of bands.

In fact, Pops said if it had not been for segregation in New Orleans, there might have never been anything like Jazz. He said all the black guys would have been in the marching bands playing Sousa.

BUT, they had to get that word ’European’ in the discussion.

"Introducing American Jazz Music to Europe"

American Jazz? What other kind was there? And played by who?

implication: there was Jazz in Europe before Reese, just not "American’ Jazz.

People used to read to gain knowledge, now, you have to have a lot of knowledge before you read.

The President is right. There is, and has always been, a lot of fake news out there.

Cheers

" My brother ! " means my family, my family means my home. Both black people in America and Gypsy lost their home, not on their own will. When you improvise it is as if you are trying to find the right notes. In time it becomes a habit, a compulsion, almost a thing in itself. Finding right notes signifies finding home. But you never can really, what is lost is lost. You keep playing. Others keep listening. The same.