Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
A few generations time does not change that, ask Orpheus10.
Better argument - what about Iranians and Indians who apparently haven't lost home, their music doesn't exist without improvisation ?
We can speculate. What I said was in fact an invitation to do it.
Historically speaking, Iranians and Northern Indians are not natives to those lands. There were advanced cultures before they came there. Indo-Iranian tribes came from the North, from Great Steppe. 

I confess.   I listen to Christmas Music year round.

Ran across this on the tube.   Will see if CDs exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GtPX6c_kg&index=29&list=RDtBt9DQJOO-4 

The African and Middle Eastern 'influences'  and not too prominent.  But you just can't get away from that Roma stuff.

Cheers

I started to contribute to this thread about 6 months ago.

Since that time I have noticed just 2 members who stick out and draw attention to themselves.

The first is orpheus10 the OP thread starter. Although he seems to have issues with any other race other then African having no "soul" in their music, he is very open minded and listens to many forms of the art of music from all over the world. His recent posts will attest to this. He does not criticize music, old or new, unless he hears it first. He obviously does not think that ALL fusion, abstract, Avant Guard, or international jazz is "NOISE." And I tend to agree with him, for the most part that Africans indeed are blessed with more soul. orpheus10 is a reasonable man that can have a reasonable debate about music.  

The second is rok2id. He is extremely opinionated and does not budge on his perspective of subjects. He likes older straight ahead jazz from 1900-1965. This is plain to see when he posts his YouTube links. This I have no problem with at all.

His conclusions on who influenced who and what is and what is not to be considered "real jazz" and not "noise" is very closed minded IMHO. His ramblings about Pops and Duke not liking Django's music and just being charitable and his following posts in debate of others to re-affirm this and the fact that only he possesses the knowledge on what is real history and what is not, as can be verified by reading his recent posts and countless other posts I have read when he is debating a subject, suggest that he is a bigot. This I do not like. But one thing I am 100% sure of is that he don't give a crap whether I like it or not!!

Bigot:  a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

Orpheus10, I can't say I like that Japanese sort of jazzy new age, though there are a few brief moments. By the way, masterless samurai is no longer a samurai. Some of those became ninjas, others landlords, masters themselves, and then some of them became artists. I don't know much about them, just read a few lines.
As for Japanese traditional music, it is hard for me to access it, Japan is quite a distant culture.
Frogman, that Armenian musician perhaps can play but what he plays sounds gibberish to me.

I may have spoken to soon concerning the straw-man award.

*****His ramblings about Pops and Duke not liking Django's music and just being charitable*****

I implied that Pops and Ellington were not 'in awe' of Django.   Nothing about like or dislike.

Influence / influenced -- sort of like the word 'culture'.  Used often, and most often misused.

***Bigot:  a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.***

Bigot -- very superficial definition.   I am intolerant of many things.   Most of them bad.  Nazis and Communists come to mind.

Cheers