Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
rok2id,

Ambiguity, in the use of a word goes both ways. I used the word awe.

Awe: a feeling of reverential respect mixed with fear or wonder.

Could it be Pops had respect for Django mixed with wonder?.. I was never able to ask Pops face to face how he felt about Django were you? So what makes your statement about how the Duke and Pops felt right and mine wrong.

Watch the video I posted and fast forward to the 3:25 mark and you will hear, in Louis Armstrong’s own voice, "He knocked me out - oooooh boy that cat sure could play."

Your response ******They were just being nice and charitable, as they always were in public****** could be ambiguously described as they heard him play, made nice comments about, then walked away laughing and joking to each other how he sounded like crap.

Again, if you had actually watched and LISTENED to the whole video it all so says they were at a jam session after the show and not in public when Pops was struck by his playing.

Ambiguous: open to more than one interpretation

When you get right down to it the thing is why would you make post that comment at all?... Think about it

******And who is it that has “left” the thread a few times huffing and puffing due to disagreement? 😖*****

That would be The Frogman.  His pouting episodes are legendary.

Cheers

*****When you get right down to it the thing is why would you make post that comment at all?... Think about it*****

I don't have to think about it.  I know why I made the statement.   This thread has a history of promoting noise makers by posting positive comments made by big time Jazz players.   So and so can really play, MINGUS said bah bah bah, Cannonball praised him, Pops said he will be a star  etc........

I am not saying Django was a noise maker.   I like his music, especially the stuff he did with Grappelli.

My point is this, given the 'social conditions' that prevailed at the time we are discussing, black musicians never criticized other musicians when asked to comment.   They had nothing to gain by being negative and maybe a lot to lose.

Therefore, we can ignore all comments made by the greats concerning other players.

As the great NY Giants and Dallas Cowboy football coach, Bill Parcells always said, "You are, what your record says you are".  No more no less.

Pops is Pops, Ellington is Ellington and Django is Django  etc.......... No matter who says what.

Cheers

I don't want to, but I suppose it's my duty to step in the middle of this "fray". It looks like a "caucus race" to me; that's from Alice in Wonderland, and everybody is right and everybody wins.

Music is so subjective, that it's hard for anybody to be wrong; as an example there's an album that's a hit with a lot of people, which has something in the title about a "gravel road". Without hearing the album, I can't imagine anything about a "gravel road" would appeal to me. It's very unlikely that I will ever hear that album.

We've touched on DNA and the possibility it plays a role in the music we like; not to mention all the sociological factors from birth to the present. We have a right to all our prejudices in regard to music; it's not necessary to agree.

Inna, as you stated; "a few brief moments"; I didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKYMEseTZxE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koto_%26_Flute

Koto and Flute is my all time favorite Japanese jazz oriented album;

I still own this album, but it's too scratched to be listened to.

At any rate we are all entitled to our different tastes.