Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Rok, nonsense, find me and post ONE reference from a credible source to the notion that “black musicians never criticized other musicians when asked to comment”. Musicians have always been each other’s toughest critics. Rok, you make stuff up to support your personalized and very rigid notions of, among other things, the history of this music. I realize you have anointed yourself a “world renowned authority on jazz” and are unwilling to change your views about any of this, but a lot of what you espouse is simply not true. Every credible writer and/or historian on these topics, not to mention musicians, have a different viewpoint from yours and yet we are supposed to consider the views of someone who can’t (or won’t) even grasp the concept of influence in music. I see. You like to rewrite history almost as much as arguing about it; including the history of the “pouting episodes”. Try posting music instead of antagonizing. And, please, we don’t need the same clips for the third, fourth or more times.

O-10, you are correct, we are all entitled to our tastes in music, but not to our “tastes” in the history of it; or other aspects of it which are well documented and/or factual..

*****Nonsense, find me and post ONE reference from a credible source to the notion that “black musicians never criticized other musicians when asked to comment*****

Show me ONE example of a big time black Jazz player making negative comments about a white player, when asked to comment by a media or Jazz critic type.   Just ONE example.   I wait with bated breath.

Cheers

*****Try posting music instead of antagonizing. And, please, we don’t need the same clips for the third, fourth or more times. *****

Hahahaha   The Frogman Strikes back.   I think I post the best clips on this thread.

btw, Just because you say something does not make it true.

Cheers

**** Show me ONE example of a big time black Jazz player making negative comments about a white player, when asked to comment by a media or Jazz critic type. Just ONE example. ****

Easy!

####
(Leonard) Feather (for Downbeat):

It was Don Ellis. Have you ever heard him?

(Miles) Davis:

Yeah, I heard him. He’s no soloist. I mean, he’s a nice guy and all that, but to me he’s just another white trumpet player. He can’t play in a chord, can’t play with any feeling; that’s the reason I guess they use all that time s&it.

####

Let me know if you need more.
*********I don’t have to think about it. I know why I made the statement. This thread has a history of promoting noise makers by posting positive comments made by big time Jazz players. So and so can really play, MINGUS said bah bah bah, Cannonball praised him, Pops said he will be a star etc........**************

So when a musician from the present says he likes the music from another musician from 40 years ago, that he likes it and was influenced by it has no meaning.

And when a musician from 40 years ago says he was re-inspired by some present musician and really likes his music, we should ignore that also.

You just contradicted yourself because if you like Django’s music, as you have just posted that means that when I posted that the Duke and Pops thought Django was good (not a "noise maker"), you should have not replied with

***********Do you seriously think Pops and The Duke were "in awe" of this guy?They were just being nice and charitable, as they always were in public.************ because since you by your own fingers on the keys said you like Django and therefore the first quoted statement of yours above which indicates that you do not care what musicians say about noise makers (implying their just being nice and charitable) would not apply and be to Django. You made the post because you have a condescending personality and that is why. And please don’t try to deny this fact with your following slant on why you posted it.

*******My point is this, given the ’social conditions’ that prevailed at the time we are discussing, black musicians never criticized other musicians when asked to comment. They had nothing to gain by being negative and maybe a lot to lose.*********

Really? in an empty club during a jam session which the location might have been north of the Mason Dixon line?

***********As the great NY Giants and Dallas Cowboy football coach, Bill Parcells always said, "You are, what your record says you are". No more no less.*********

So that would mean that you are a firm believer that record sales and notoriety make you a better musician

You outdid yourself there.

Oh, and by the way I am a jazz lover, no matter if I was aware of Jimmy Reece Europe (another of your condescending remarks) or not.