Cartridge for Technics SL-1200G or SL-1200GR

I've been using a Technics SL-1600MK2 since about 1982.  I'm currently using an Ortofon Blue cartridge.  I have a NAD M12 pre, M22 v2 PA, and Tannoy 8 dcti speakers.

I plan to upgrade to a 1200G or 1200GR and wanted some cartridge recommendations from current owners.  I've considered the Ortofon Black for either, but I'm not sure if that would be overkill for the 1200GR. The Blue sounds pretty good with my current setup, so how much improvement could I expect if I went with the Black.  
128x128oldschool1948
On the other hand, you would find the older SL-1200mk2 to be quite inferior to the SL-1600mk2 because it has no isolation of the plinth from the base, which is nestled in a rubber enclosure on rubber feet.
Agreed! The older SL1200s have appearance only in common with the new SL1200G and GR, which are entirely different construction from the ground up. It is easy to confuse that the two must be the same animal with maybe some slight tweaks, but that isn't the case.
@oldschool1948  I think you have made a good decision.  I am very happy with my 1200G.  I did hear improvements with a different mat and IC.I use a Hana EL along with a Denon 103.
I have those KAB fluid dampers on both of my upgraded SL1210mkII, the biggest improvement was not the KAB dampes, but a Technics 205c mk4 cartridge i have tried for a first time about 5 years ago. You may need a fluid damper for high compliance cartridges, but definitely not for low compliance cartridges. Also the damper collect dust all the time, i have removed mine today for cleaning. Better cartridge makes a HUGE different on this turntable, the dampers are not.

As for the classic SL1210mkII that you’re calling inferior compared to automatic SL1600, simply add Isonoe Footers and SAEC SS-300 mat and the problem is solved.

For a half price of the new SL1200G everyone can buy a Luxman PD-444 turntable designed for two tonearms. It’s a king of turntables made by Micro Seiki. Technics is a little toy compared to Luxman PD-444, almost any tonearm can be mounted on Luxman ("9, "10.5, "12 inch).

Our @brentknoll just bought one for $2k including shipping from Japan to USA and this is amazing price! Not to mention spare armboards supplied by that japanese seller. The price is very low compared to Technics SL1200G or GR. Luxman is state of the art turntable and does not require any mods. 

@chakster , there are huge differences between SL-1600 and SL-1600mk2. SERVO vs Quartz locked PLL, damping, adjustability of tonearm height, etc.  Then you need to know that the SL-1200mk2 is a simplified version of the SL-1800mk2 variant, which was developed alongside the 1600mk2 / 1700mk2 / 1800mk2, but with a rubber base instead of spring suspension to stand up better to rough handling and being shipped. The downside to the rubber base is poor isolation from shock and vibrations. 
@sleepwalker65 basically i don't care about automatic turntables and my reference Technics was an SP-10mkII, this is my Technics setup. 

As for the spring suspension just look for the Isonoe Footers designed for Technics SL1200 series. They are great! I bought my SL1210mkII in 1996 and fully upgraded it long time ago. 

To any Technics fan i would recomment at least SP-10mkII in a cuatom plinth with proper tonearm. SL1200 or 1600 series or even new SL1200GAE is always a compromise. I don't like then much.