Switched from RCA to XLR Interconnects - WOW

I just received a set of Pangea True Balanced Premier SE XLR interconnects from Audio Advisor and connected them between my phono preamp to my amp.
I really didn't expect to hear any major difference, but man was I wrong.  The sound quality is night and day improved over my previous cables (Clear Day Cables RCA cables).  The improvement in bass response is amazing, and the soundstage got about 2 feet wider and deeper.  Mids and highs are also more clearly defined, and the backgrounds are about as black as I have ever heard.   What also surprised me is how much hotter the signal is into the amp.  I had to turn the volume down quite a bit to equal levels I usually listed to with the previous cables.
FYI, the preamp is a Parasound JC3+ and the amp is a Lyngdorf TDAI-3400.  
I'm really impressed.  I had always wanted to try using balanced cables but this is the first amp I have owned that had balanced inputs.  
128x128snackeyp
Thanks for the mention, Spencer (SBank1).

Yes, there will often be 6 db more volume for a given volume control setting when balanced interconnections are used, compared to unbalanced interconnections. That isn’t always the case, though, and it depends on the specific designs of the components that are being connected.

The reason relates to the fact that a properly designed balanced receiver circuit will respond to the instantaneous voltage difference between the two signals in the balanced signal pair, which is twice as much as the voltage of each of those signals. And the signal voltage of an unbalanced interface is often the same as the voltage of each of the signals in a balanced pair of signals between the same components. And in some cases the unbalanced signal may actually be the same signal as one of the two signals in the balanced signal pair.

More generally, regarding the differences that were heard keep in mind that you’ve not only changed the cable from unbalanced to balanced, and changed the make and model of the cable, but in doing so you’ve also changed the configuration of the output circuit that is being used in the phono stage, and the configuration of the input circuit that is being used in the integrated amp. Which is one reason that cable differences tend to be system dependent.

And yes, I agree with Spencer’s mention of the potential benefits of a well designed balanced interface. I would add to his list that a well designed balanced interface will have less susceptibility to ground loop issues than an unbalanced interface.

Regards,
-- Al
No sense to have XLR from your cartridge but everything else analog should be XLR, preferably the components should all work at pro level to give you the maximum headroom
This statement, IMO, is false. Cartridges are a balanced source, so it totally makes sense to run a balanced connection between the tone arm and the phono preamp.
Why would longer cables be better than short ones in this case?
One advantage of balanced lines, as you have discovered, is that there is less coloration- and as a result you get more detail. Because there is so much less coloration (and a lower noise floor) you can run the cable much longer distances. One very common myth about balanced lines is that they are only useful if you run longer lengths, but the benefit is audible even if the cable length is only 6 inches.

My DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 owner's manual says that, "both the XLR and the RCA outputs carry the same signal." Does this mean that its output is not a true balanced design? Currently I am using it with RCA connection to a Pass Labs X350.5 with 19 foot RCA cable from Virtual Dynamics (Nite series II). Wondering if I should try going balanced with something like Canare Starquad L-4E6S as Shadorne suggests.
Does this mean that its output is not a true balanced design?

No. I took a look at the manual and the specs for your DSPeaker, and the fact that the maximum output voltages are specified as being approximately twice as great for the XLR outputs as for the RCA outputs strongly suggests that the XLR outputs are being provided with a balanced pair of signals.

Given that, and also that you are driving a Pass amp and using a particularly long cable, I would definitely suggest trying a balanced Canare cable, or alternatively a Mogami Gold Studio cable. There is a possibility that the results would not be preferable, depending mainly on the sonic quality of the DSPeaker’s XLR outputs compared to its RCA outputs, but chances are good that there will be an improvement.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al
I have a seven meter balanced cable between my preamp and amp. In the past I have used RCA Kimber PBJ (no problem) XLR Kimber Hero.. a home made with Kimber wire XLR, and finally a Kimber KS 1116 pair of XLR. The KS1116 are superior to any others I had. Clearly an improvement. I balked at the cost for several years, but finally bought them. The rest of my system has a mix of RCA and XLR. I cannot say the XLR have any superior sound advantage over the RCA within this Kimber model. Though at this point I am not about to buy a $3000  seven meter RCA KS just to say what I think of it here.