Focal Aria 936 / Elac Adante AF-61 / Von Schweikert VR-33 , impressions, thoughts?

Thinking of upgrading my speakers and in the past have just gone with what I thought was a great deal, sometimes that worked, more often it did not!

Have a shortlist right now of those 3 speakers.

Focal Aria 936
Elac Adante AF-61
Von Schweikert VR-33

Presently using Triangle Altea ESW speakers.

What am I lacking right now? Possibly some lower bass, the Triangles are superb in the mids and upper registers but you can definitely tell they are  a little limp below 40hz. And at the end of the day even though I consider them to be fantastic speakers, they were after all only 2k brand new so there are likely better options out there to consider.

So thoughts and impressions on those 3 speakers or any serious contenders in the same sort of price bracket, I am looking at used examples only so think 3k max.

Will be driving them with an Ayre AX-7E integrated which I will NOT be changing anytime soon (famous last words I know!)

Thank you
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xuberwaltz
If you don't like the way they sound, positioning and room acoustics/treatment is your problem.  Break in will barely change the sound after the first 10 hours or so.  The main "break in" that happens is the speakers coming up to room temperature after sitting in a freight truck/warehouse for however long.
Tell us more about the room and the way the speakers are set up now.  Did you get rid of the toe in like I suggested earlier?
Mine didn't change much at all from out of the box to a few months in so far as I noticed. I listen about 11 feet away. Mine are about 7' apart measured from the front corners and they're 22 inches out from the wall. Mine are toed in a good bit. Rather than guess at degrees I'm going to say it more colorfully. If dead on is "0" and right at my head is "3/3rds", then mine are at about 2/3rds from "0" or no toe in. I find that significantly toeing in speakers leads to odd comb filtering effects from the room as you move for and aft and they get more severe with toe in unless you prodigiously treat the room. Those things have very smooth off axis response so toe doesn't have insane effects on their tone or balance, but it does change how they interact with the room. And if they are sounding closed in, lacking width, depth, and height, those are definitely room interaction issues. I have a dining room coming off my living room and that thing was a serious SOB to deal with because it had it's own resonance totally separate from the living room that made the sound glare and wander on account of those 936's having such smooth off axis response. I threw some thick curtains over a folding screen and that totally killed the room. Once I was able to toe them out without that room being a real pain, the sound just exploded in physical dimension. I'm not sure I agree with no toe in. It's something to be experimented with. Same with how far out from the wall they are. Loose, booming bass makes me think they're too close to a wall. I'd say 22" (measuring from the rear, closest corner) is probably a minimum, but it sounds like you're working with the same kind of area I am. 
To best describe my room at the moment....

Speakers about 7 feet apart, 22" out from the wall. I've got 36 sq/ft of 2 inch acoustic foam tiles scattered about the wall behind my chair. Behind the speakers I've got 1 inch of foam and thick carpet, which I do intend to replace with something now that I know what works. Between the speakers on the wall I've got a curtain with thinner looped carpet behind that. And I have a 3'x7' sheet of 1" foam on the ceiling which makes a tiny difference and I had it so I just pinned it up there. Those things are 91db sensitive on center, but they are very smooth off axis which means they're really injecting a lot of sound into the room that needs to be managed a bit and sound just bouncing around will destroy their imaging. 
As well documented over the years I have a terrible acoustic room which is one reason I had gone to the Lyngdorf 2170 for the room correction to help.

This it did but there were other factors I ended up not liking too much on that amp and now use an Ayre ax7e.

Room is 4 walls of glass and a tiled floor....lol. And in case you are wondering how? It is actually an extension that was built on back of house as a Florida/sun room,hence the sloped ceiling as house is 2 storey and 3 sides of glass windows and 1 side of double glass sliding doors back into main house.
Have three huge soft sofas in there, large shaggy rug covering most of floor and wood window blinds on all windows and this helped a lot on any configuration of system. Oh and a sloped ceiling raising up back towards where the equipment and speakers are. When I do move house I will have a better room but this is what I am dealing with right now.

Best position I have found for any speakers in here has always ended up being roughly the same.

Approx 10 feet apart, and 3 feet in from back wall and side wall. Toed in so if I am the dead center at approx 7.5 feet distance, then they would converge approx 3 feet behind me. By trial this has always given best results prior to the 936. The DeVore Gibbon sound REALLY good set up like this .

Working away all this week so will not get any time to play until next Sunday.
I think unequal distances from the corners of the walls will help. There's a formula in the manual that's supposedly ideal, but I never had much luck with it. My right speaker has no corner and the left is about 3.5' from the side wall. The left wall is also consumed by a gigantic patio door with vertical "S" curve blinds. They look tight, but they also make for a good surface for sound to be diffused from. For a long time I had mine 9+ feet apart. 7' is much better in my space. I get wider imaging and better center fill. 

Well one change would kill two birds there then.
If i pull them more intogether say 7.5 to 8 feet apart that would give and unequal corner distance, easy change to try.
Tbh in my room I have not had ANY speakers in tighter together that the present 10ft, maybe I have been missing setup altogether for a while!