Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
catalysis...

Thanks!

No doubt my next round of appropriating equipment will have a MUCH shorter list of possible brands - Pass and Thiel topping it depending upon locality, finances, etc.  Though it pained me to let my stuff go I did so knowing it wasn’t the finale, simply a temporary setback. 

It’s almost refreshing actually.  A clean slate is a good thing in many ways.  I’m 61 now, soon to turn 62, so the years I have ahead of me are far shorter than the years I have behind me.  Not a whine, just a fact - and time too constricted to burn through equipment as I have for the last 5 years.  In no particular order...
Thiel (4), Magnepan (3), Audio Research (2),  B. A. T. (2), Placette, Von Schweikert (2), Vandersteen, Modwright, Sony Hap, Oppo, Marantz Turntable, McIntosh (2), Musical Fidelity (2), Project Turntable, Primare, Primare Phono, First Watt, and more cables and connects than you can swing a dead cat at...

Sane or insane?

l recommend evaluating any amp (for Thiel speakers) by its ability to sustain a 2 ohm load. 
I’ve had great success driving my Thiels with Ayre. I used an AX-7e to drive CS 1.6s and am now using an AX-5 Twenty to drive CS 2.4 SEs.  The 7 is rated at “only” 60 W into 8 ohm and the 5 at 125, both doubling into 4 Ohms but neither has a 2 Ohm rating from Ayre. Both play plenty loadly for my tastes and room. I did get the 7 to clip when I pushed my Vandersteen 2s, which are considerably less efficient than the 1.6s. Still, that was at SPLs exceeding my personal comfort zone.

I guess I’m suggesting  a strict 2 ohm rating for Thiels might exclude some otherwise great amplification that will work just fine. Perhaps this should be model-dependent. Looking at the CS5 measurements, i probably wouldn’t mate an AX-7 with those!
oblgny

Only 62?   Ha!   You still have 25 to 30 years ahead of you to enjoy your music through a good rig. 

Just be selective, as retirement funds may not equal what you have been able to spend previously for changing out components. 

Just remember that the cost vs desired performance for audio equipment isn't a smoothly-increasing line on an x-y plot. It has a sharp elbow at about the 95-97% point, and further minute increases in perceived enjoyment can cost megabucks. 

Learn to listen to the music for enjoyment, and not for nit-picking the upper midrange sounds between 901 and 902 hz.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.