Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
One of the biggest challenges to making 1st order crossover-appropriate speakers is that the drivers need to have a considerably wider bandwidth than those typically used in higher order designs. Not any old driver will do. These are much more expensive to design, manufacture and test, and Jim worked tirelessly on improving them. Tom can comment here but from interviews I’ve read with Jim, and some of the classic Thiel product literature I still have, much effort went into those Thiel drivers, and some were originally outsourced. The CS6 was the first model that contained drivers all made in house by Thiel.

My first pair were CS7s and, stupidly, I sold them for a pair of Dynaudio Contour 2.0, thinking I was going to "downsize;" they too used 1st order crossovers but were not time/phase coherent. After less than a year, I so missed the Thiels that I traded the Dynaudios for a pair of CS6s, and later bought a pair of CS2.4s for a second system. I’m trying to find a home for the CS6s now that my space is smaller and the CS2.4s are my main speakers.

Andy: congrats on your new Thiels. Enjoy them and let me know if you have any questions about set up, placement, etc. When the imaging is locked in you will know it.

Steve
andy2

Welcome! Good to see you here- an excellent post all around. Very sweet owning (2) systems. Also good to read that your CS 2.4 speakers arrived safe and sound to your locale. Interesting that you are a speaker builder, those DIY skills are going to come in handy as beetlemania and tomthiel are working in concert on a cross-over project in conjunction with Mr. Rob Gillum due later this Fall.  Stay Tuned.

Happy Listening!
stevecham

Good to see you here and glad that you are still enjoying your CS 2.4 loudspeakers.  The CS6 does look sweet indeed. Hopefully, they will find the next home soon.  Happy Listening!
prof

Thank You for sharing your thoughts here. You are one of the very few that owned a pair of CS 2.7 and 3.7 in-house for direct comparison daily.

Absolutely! once any of these models are locked-in for imaging, you will know it immediately.  Happy Listening!
tomthiel

Thank You for the caps tech talk. Keep it coming Sir!
Thinking about Marty Balin today (R.I.P.) and his vocals on the song "Miracles" from Red Octopus album. This is a demo track in any format as he delivers one hell of a crescendo performance, sure to test any speaker's midrange capability.

Happy Listening!