Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, "Wicki" has almost nothing on Eunice Waymon; she's a person, Nina Simone is a name; you will either have to buy the book or go to the library in order to find out who "Eunice Waymon" was, "google" can not help you.
orpheus10,

I think Nina Simone's (Eunice Williams) playing and vocals are just ok, and IMHO not on par with countless male or female piano players.

Same with her vocals. I could easily name dozens of female vocalists that I like better.

I have heard a lot of her recordings and nothing really "stands out" to me but this is just my opinion and the conclusions I came to after listening to her music. I know by your continuance of posting her links and info about her that she is one of your favorites. Am I correct?

If so that is cool. Everyone hears things differently and sometimes agreeing to disagree without insults is the best way to go.

Just my 2 cents.

I think we are sometimes mixing apples and oranges, as they say...

As far as I am concern, I would not give my self a liberty to judge something that I am not properly educated of.

Meaning, as much as I like and listen music and as much as I can recognise 'great' performing I could not explain in so many correct terms whay some particular performance is 'great' or 'good'. (for 'bad' ones is easier,it seems)

I may say that I like it. (or not)

For rest and for more, I tend to leave it to professionals...

Than again, for some performances, I am completely certain, that if looked from 'technical' point of view, they are incomplete, to say at least, but sometimes or often, some of them give me chills.

For instance, Chet Baker. He is not Placido Domingo nor even Dean Martin, but his singing is very dear to me.

As for A.Lenox or E.Elias, they are great, but never either of them even remotly gave me the feeling such as I had while listening to Nina Simone

Just wanted to say that 'confrontation' with 'better' examples to some of our choices is not the right path, imho.

My first thought, when I see something interested posted is to post another gem, that perhaps the original poster might like and does not have.

For the ones that I dont like, I stay politely silent or even try to give it one more shot,(if its in genre that I like) out of respect or with a thought that I could perhaps discover some new angle to look at it.

Spewing your bile across people you've never met is lousy way to talk about jazz, no matter how fun it may seems. Its a kind of folklor here, but I should hate if it gets out of hands. So, you have been warned...

https://youtu.be/suY06PVK_bI