Klipsch Forte III--Pleasantly Surprised

First off, I have to say that I always had significant bias against Klipsch speakers. I thought maybe some of the Heritage Series were possibly decent, but in no way audiophile grade.

I recently bought a pair of Forte’s in distressed white oak. They look super vintage and the grills are very tasteful. My impetus for the purchase was I moved to a house this past spring that has a dedicated music room for me, and I wanted to experiment seeking a bigger sound as the room is large (25 long x 15 wide x 10 foot high ceilings). My system is the following:

Winter: Primaluna Dialgoue HP Premium Integrated,
Summer: Schitt Freya, NAD M51
Constant Year Long: Bluesound Node 2, NAD M22 DAC, Manley Chinook Phono Pre, Technics 1200 GAE Turntable, AudioTechnica ART9 Cartridge.

I’m really enjoying the Forte IIIs out of the boxes. I haven’t even tried them out with with tube amps (only tube pre) yet. I thought they would be fatiguing and have tons of bass. The treble spectrum (midrange northbound) is sweet and doesn’t sound cupped. The bass is perfectly integrated but not as prominent as I’d expected. The soundstage is seamless and they are not fussy about positioning.

The other thing that surprised me was how much of the NAD M22 juice I can use. I thought that I’d never move volume much due to the whopping power of the NAD M22--not true. So this is making me curious--what will happen when I hook up my 300B tube integrated? I think it has 8W per side. Will I miss the NAD’s power? That’s going to be fun experiment.

And, it’s going to be super interesting to try the Primaluna integrated with them. I can’t wait to see if I like my KT150s or EL34 variants better.

I’m not going to give some glowing review because it’s too soon and I’ve learned some speakers may sound so so with one system and great with another and even more so with different rooms. There is, however, a big takeaway for me personally: I can use reviews as guides but you have to try stuff out in your room with your stuff to really know. I recently sold a near mint pair of KEF LS50s because my $500 Wharfedale Dentons just sang better with my Creek integrated in the specific room they are in (downstairs system). And that doesn't say anything about the KEFs--they are still amazing boxes.  

128x128jbhiller
The Heresy III horn damping process is interesting, and worth it if only to make mrdecibel happy depending of course on how important his happiness is to you. They do sound somewhat smoother, and I should have done an A/B test before damping the second horn as I no longer remember the pre-damped sound...meh...these are astonishingly detained speakers, and really come into their own once you  really listen to them over time...they will not sweeten a harsh recording, nor should any speaker do that, but with well sorted gear they will allow a truly accurate and coherent representation of recordings into your earballs, which is a good thing. Detail is right there with Heresy IIIs, as I can hear stuff previously buried in the mix...I use a tube preamp and a simple SE tube power amp and they really shine with Heresy IIIs to a degree that nothing among the great speakers I've previously owned can match. Maybe it's the efficiency, maybe it's the horn and crossover design, but these things are absolutely a high end bargain speaker.
wolf, a typo I am sure. Detained, detailed. I am happy, if you guys want to do damping, that is up to you. I am happy if you do not. It was, and still is, a very significant tweak Klipsch owners have been doing for 50 or so years ( I am not the only one ), in eliminating the ringing ( in the early metal horns ) and the resonances ( in the now poly plastic horns ) making them cleaner, smoother and more detailed. It also effects the entire front baffle in doing the same. I might not know much, but I do know Klipsch ( Heritage ), and if my posts are no longer wanted by some of you, just say so. My feelings are not hurt, but sometimes appreciation of knowledge is nice. Yes, very little, if none at all, brevity. Enjoy ! MrD.
jbhiller,

Thanks for letting me know what equipment is giving you the results you've described.  The Bluesound Node 2 has come up on other discussions, so I will take your advise and start with that for streaming using its own DAC.

The first "hifi" cartridge I got in the mid-70s was AudioTechnica's then second from the top model with Shibata stylus, (back when most cartridges where moving magnet).  It was the best component in my system and in college several people would bring their albums over to hear it on my stereo, so you've invested well.

You are right that horns do dynamics better than detail, but the "live" factor of a live recording and energy of their sound is great.  Glad you're enjoying the fun factor they bring to music.

If you want to get back to more of a monitor sound for instrument placement, nuances, etc., but retain some of the dynamics of horns, the Altec 604-G speakers are hard to beat, especially in the larger 620 cabinet.  If you have heard them yourself, you can see why they where the most popular speaker for studio monitors for years.

Thanks again for your help and enjoy the music.

MrD,

Dampening the midrange horns on my Forte I's helped with detail, openness and the like at moderate to louder volumes.  I mentioned earlier that I replaced the factory Forte I K53/K701 combination from an earlier Heresy.  The driver was better made and sounding, but I was surprised that the K-701 horn had fewer outside ribs for bracing in the mold.  Seems the Klipsch engineers took steps to reduce resonance by beefing up the bracing in later versions of the horn.

The midrange compression driver on a Forte I is only about a 1/16th of an inch from the back inside wall of the cabinet.  (Not sure if the geometry is the same on later generations with a tractrix horn).  Recently I read that loosening the mounting screws and inserting a thin piece of compressible foam behind the driver and then re-tightening the mounting screws helps with "bracing" for a clearer sound.

Have you given this a try?
Mrdecibel: You gave me no choice in the damping thing, so I expect you to issue an apology to my wife as I gummed up her favorite scissors...they got un-gummed...still...took some "splainin'". The term "detained" means they are held in my listening room and have very little chance of escape (I generally fear they could try to get back to Arkansas if allowed). Detailed was a more apt term, so yeah...detailed. And please continue posting as these posts are one of the few bastions of defense against the anti-Klipsch horn movement that exists in the demented minds of the mindlessly demented.