Is there actually a difference?

Speakers sound different - that is very obvious. But I’ve never experienced a drastic change between amps. Disclaimer that I’ve never personally ABX tested any extremely high end gear.

With all these articles claiming every other budget amp is a "giant killer", I’ve been wondering if there has ever been blind tests done with amplifiers to see if human ears can consistently tell the difference. You can swear to yourself that they do sound different, but the mind is a powerful thing, and you can never be sure unless it’s a truly blind test.

One step further - even IF we actually can tell the difference and we can distinguish a certain amp 7/10 times under extreme scrutiny, is it really worth the thousands you are shelling out to get that nearly-imperceivable .01% increase in performance?

Not looking to stir up any heated debate. I’ve been in audio for several years now and have always thought about this.
asianatorizzle
When I asked about the viability of adapting the F5 to power JFETs he pointed me to an example he'd built using the Sony devices
Sure- but that's not the same as saying they are the same. Google is your friend.

SITs are not in production- power JFETs are.
Who's making power JFETs? I've looked. As far as I can tell the last 2 companies to make things called "power JFETs" were SemiSouth with their SITs and Infineon. 
Interesting discussion, which I am joining late. I recently (about a year ago) purchased a pair of Magnepan 1.7i’s These speakers are not particularly easy to drive, so I knew I would need a few watts. Having blown my budget on the speakers, I went searching for a bargain amp.

I found a Parasound H2200 (300+ w/pc rms) on ebay for about $400. This seemed to have plenty of power, but the speakers did not sound like they did in the dealer’s listening room. The dealer was AR dealer and he auditioned the speakers with some pretty high end tube equipment.

I tried a couple of different SS pre-amps, but was not satisfied. Finally, I decided to try a tube pre-amp. After doing a bit (a large bit, actually) of research I decided to try the Transcend 6SN7 preamp (can you guess what kind of tubes it uses?). Wow!! Now I can’t say if they sound as good as they did powered by all that Class A tube equipment, but this seems to be a good pairing.

The Aric Audio gear really opened up the sound of the Magnepans. Maybe someday I will try some Class A Tube power amplification, but I don’t know how to compare the numbers (How does 68w Class A amplification compare to 300w Class A/B under a difficult load?)
Anyway I am satisfied for now. And my next $3000 expenditure will be for a nice (fairly) high end double boiler Cappuccino machine. Priorities. :)

1 of my local dealers manages to keep a straight face when suggesting output is the only difference between amps is output! Component matching is important and makes a real audible difference and properly matching an amp to speakers will have audible results.
Post removed