Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Post removed 
mary_jo,

I first heard Annie Lennox in the mid 1980’s with the Eurythmics. The song was "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This" and, although at the time, I was into the music of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and the like, something in her voice stuck in my gut.

Here I am 30 plus years later still in love with her soulful, soaring, and at times highly emotional singing, with the Eurythmics and her solo sessions. Annie recorded an album of jazz standards in 2014 at the age of 60 called "Nostalgia" that, IMHO is outstanding.

Then again, my feelings about Annie’s vocals are shared by the worldwide masses and she has sold millions of records over the years.

frogman, I have everything TYA ever put out and then some!

Alvin Lee was heavily influenced by American jazz and blues. He covers the standard blues tune "Good Morning Little School Girl" and jazz "Woodchoppers Ball" with his blazingly fast guitar out front as with all of his recordings. The thing about me, which seems to separate me from a lot of the members posting on this thread, is that when I really got into jazz, at age 40, and became obsessed with jazz (I have 5x more jazz music in my library then any other genre), I never trashed my rock/blues/metal music and still listen to it often.

I highly recommend this CD:
https://www.amazon.com/Live-Fillmore-East-Years-After/dp/B00005K1ZD/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&a...

It has been remastered and released in its entirety and Alvin really "goes off" soloing for 13 minutes on the blues song "Help Me"

Thanks nsp for the ongoing updates on the Sonny Rollins VV sessions. I hope they release another disc with the complete sessions day and night.

By the way, you had mentioned the group Soft Machine, I believe, a while back. I just picked up volumes 3-7 in a 20 dollar box set and the albums "Bundles" and "Softs" which adds guitar into their stuff.
Great choices, Alex. Interesting, I had forgotten how much faster they played “Take Five” at the Carnegie concert. At first I thought it might be a technical speed issue with that particular upload to Youtube and checked my lp; but that is the actual tempo they took it at. Must have been the excitement of and from the live audience. I’m reposting for comparison:

https://youtu.be/JVLIcbUL64M

The studio version:

https://youtu.be/vmDDOFXSgAs