Klipsch Forte III--Pleasantly Surprised

First off, I have to say that I always had significant bias against Klipsch speakers. I thought maybe some of the Heritage Series were possibly decent, but in no way audiophile grade.

I recently bought a pair of Forte’s in distressed white oak. They look super vintage and the grills are very tasteful. My impetus for the purchase was I moved to a house this past spring that has a dedicated music room for me, and I wanted to experiment seeking a bigger sound as the room is large (25 long x 15 wide x 10 foot high ceilings). My system is the following:

Winter: Primaluna Dialgoue HP Premium Integrated,
Summer: Schitt Freya, NAD M51
Constant Year Long: Bluesound Node 2, NAD M22 DAC, Manley Chinook Phono Pre, Technics 1200 GAE Turntable, AudioTechnica ART9 Cartridge.

I’m really enjoying the Forte IIIs out of the boxes. I haven’t even tried them out with with tube amps (only tube pre) yet. I thought they would be fatiguing and have tons of bass. The treble spectrum (midrange northbound) is sweet and doesn’t sound cupped. The bass is perfectly integrated but not as prominent as I’d expected. The soundstage is seamless and they are not fussy about positioning.

The other thing that surprised me was how much of the NAD M22 juice I can use. I thought that I’d never move volume much due to the whopping power of the NAD M22--not true. So this is making me curious--what will happen when I hook up my 300B tube integrated? I think it has 8W per side. Will I miss the NAD’s power? That’s going to be fun experiment.

And, it’s going to be super interesting to try the Primaluna integrated with them. I can’t wait to see if I like my KT150s or EL34 variants better.

I’m not going to give some glowing review because it’s too soon and I’ve learned some speakers may sound so so with one system and great with another and even more so with different rooms. There is, however, a big takeaway for me personally: I can use reviews as guides but you have to try stuff out in your room with your stuff to really know. I recently sold a near mint pair of KEF LS50s because my $500 Wharfedale Dentons just sang better with my Creek integrated in the specific room they are in (downstairs system). And that doesn't say anything about the KEFs--they are still amazing boxes.  

128x128jbhiller
Thanks for the advice mrdecibel. I have looked at it, and there is room for another layer. I actually didn't remember how light and thin the horn was. The ribs on the back are so small and thin that it was easy to just form the pad material right over them. I have plenty of it, so I figured why not.
OP, you mentioned using a Schiit Freya. How long have you had it and how do you like it? Am considering purchasing one. Thank you for answering an off-topic question.
Tom
tomcarr, 

Yes, I have one.  I just got it based on a member's recommendation.  He (assuming he was a he--we need more women audiophiles!) was right-- The Freya is really great especially for the money.  I haven't compared it to a bunch of other dedicated preamps, at least those in recent memory, so it's hard to say it plays in the $4-5k league.  

It is, however great.  I think I posted a little review of it.  Let me go look.  

I may sell it if I figure out how to do a built in where I vent my tube amp through a damper in the summer to release heat into the attic above my third floor listening room.  I bought it just to use it in a summer system where I move out a tube amp and use a NAD M22 power amp.  

I found the Freya to be very quiet.  To me the tube stage was best, then FET stage, then passive--yet there are others who find the opposite.  I liked the stock Russian tubes.  

Th only thing I didn't like was the clicking steps in the volume control (note the actual volume pot is a great one that stays out of the sound). It's just that when the volume knob is moved it intentionally by design makes noise.  I also didn't like that the main power switch was on the rear of the unit.  It's not too hard to grab but not ideal. 

The Freya was a great introduction to the Schitt brand.  Oh, and I experienced none of the microphics some say they did when touching the unit during playback.  Mine is dead silent.  It's really nice looking too.
I’ve had fun with a Freya for nearly a year, and it mostly stays out the way...utterly quiet in all modes, which is easy to test as I use horn loaded speakers, and if I put my Schiit Loki EQ in the path and turn up the higher frequencies with my ear to the tweeter horn the Freya is still dead quiet...microphonics free! I run it onto a smallish single ended tube amp. I’ve had a lot of preamps over the years and the Freya, especially with good sounding NOS tubes (of which I now have a pile), is a great preamp regardless of the silly low price. The clicking sound doesn’t bug me at all (because I know I'm causing it), and since my Freya has a lot of air above it (the thing gets a little hot from both the tubes and transformers) I’m used to reaching over for the switch. I say don’t fear the Freya!