Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
Steely Dan are and were astonishing. Becker's solo albums are so good I was mostly angry about his death because his output stoped. My most recent live experience with those guys was a show with Elvis Costello (!) opening a couple of years ago...the groups they assembled for recent live shows was heart stopping...best backup singers, tight utterly pro monster players all around..Jon Herington...man. I have every original vinyl of 'em from the 70s, all the solo stuff, and my former neighbor Elliot Scheiner got a grammy for Gaucho, which is still an amazing album I listen to often.

Agree on Steely Dan. I have always loved them, but when Walter Becker died I spent a few weeks listening to their albums over and over, coming to the conclusion that no American band has ever surpassed the quality of their albums, especially the first four.
I didn't read through all the posts so I may have missed the mention. Lot's of good ones by the way but how about the man than just retired, Mr. Paul Simon? Sure, he's a single artist and not a band but what better American icon?