sand versus shot in speaker stands

recently purchased monitors and stand for bedroom and do not know if i should fill stand or not. if the stands should be filled what material should be used. i always read about stands being sand or shot ready, but i must admit i do not know what is meant by shot and where one goes to by shot.

thanks in advance for the help
bianchi27
Lead is preferable for weighting speakers IMHO. Handle it gently; just don't put it in your mouth or nose and you won't die or lose your mind.

Given the possible toxicity, I put it in ziploc bags first - the in the speaker base.

When I have used it, I wore nitrile gloves and a basic painter's mask. Just handle the lead gently and if possible, don't pour it from one container to another as this might create dust.

Remember - don't eat, breathe or otherwise ingest it.

Here's a link: http://www.rotometals.com/Lead-Shot-s/64.htm
You want 8.5 or 9...
I am using graphite coated lead shot ,which is very good and the graphite absorbs added vibration. On Amazon 25lb bags $50 free shipping 
And yes you can go to home depot and get some plumbers puddy to seal the top.then put your top plate on .
Manufacturers have long supplied tin-coated lead shot to eliminate even the possibility of lead dust and associated hazards. Once mixed with sand (recommended) and sealed inside the post of a speaker stand, no more dangerous than sand alone.