More expensive DAC the answer?

I am still trying to get a decent sound quality out of my system. Currently I am running an Audio Engine DAC and not really happy with sound quality. Would investing in a more robust DAC be of benefit?
mfdamon
The system is made up as stated above with the addition of Yamaha
CD S300 cd player, Technics SL 1600 Mark II with Dynavector 10x5 MkII turntable and cart. The weak link are my cables which are basically just copper. The room is not square in shape, hard to describe.
30' x 30' room. You really need to dampen the room with acoustic treatments. There may be reflections off the walls and ceiling.

<The sound is distortion... and a kinda hollow sound.>

Try the "slap echo" test. Stand in the center of the room and clap your hands once, listen for an echo.

mfdamon,
maybe feed your integrated a descent analog source. Will quickly show you if you have a fork in the road. 
The Klipsch are never going to sound great. It sounds like you are describing the honk that horns always have. Try some Paradigms, at whatever price point you can swing.

IMO, your weak link is your digital source.  This is just as important as the speakers and their placement.

I would not expect miracles from a $169 DAC and a cheap transport by itself. Time to upgrade if you want to get better SQ. Expect to spend $1K for a decent DAC and keep the transport, but change to a good BNC S/PDIF coax cable with RCA adapters and add a reclocker between the transport and DAC.

I would not mess with acoustics until you do these things. Only then will you achieve a focused stereo image with vocalists not being 2 feet wide.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio