PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC/Pre-amp as first foray into separate pre-amp?

Well, I've been researching and considering various pre-amps with home theater bypass, but just came across this much more affordable PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC/pre-amp.  The idea is to get something for two channel audio that has home theater bypass, so as to be able to continue to use my Denon AVR for movies and multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio.  But I want to improve the CD and flac playback I'm now getting out of the AVR.  I would also want to get better two channel SACD audio quality than I get through the AVR over HDMI, but it seems that I would have to purchase a proprietary PS Audio SACD player that has the I2S connector to make that happen. 

The plan would be to connect my universal player via optical or coaxial digital to the Stellar Gain DAC, instead of my current signal path of the Oppo into the AVR via HDMI.  I would also connect my turntable(high output MC cartridge) to the Stellar Gain unit.  I could also connect the optical digital output from my 4K TV to the Stellar gain.  The Stellar Gain unit would be connected to my Krell FPB 400cx power amp via XLR cables(I'm not sure if this would be a good output impedance match). 

The Stellar Gain DAC/pre-amp seems very reasonably priced, at $1,700, for its capabilities and for the sound quality indicated by professional reviews.  Plus, near mint used units are available for ~$1,200.  Thoughts? 
mtrot
I happen to own the stellar stack in one of my systems and have to say I’m pretty impressed with its sound quality overall, and very much so on a value basis.  It’s quite smooth and very easy to listen to, but not soft or lacking detail.  I have a few other systems, one is considerably more expensive.  While it’s different, and probably better, the PS Audio stuff is what I’d get again for the price.  
I use the coax input on the pre/DAC coming from a server. I’ve also tried the USB. Both inputs are good.  I’m not sure about the optical input as I haven’t tried it.  Some others claim optical in general is jittery and the last input source you should use for any DAC.  I really can’t say as I’ve never used optical anywhere.  But, as a way of getting sound through from HT sources, I’m sure it’d be fine.
BTW, I too have SACDs but have gone so heavily into working off of a server and streaming via Tidal (and hopefully Qobuz when it’s here) that I don’t worry about that too much anymore. But, when called upon, I use the analog outputs of my player into the analog inputs on the pre/DAC. The DAC in the Stellar unit is probably better than in my player, but for my limited use, it’s not a problem for me.  I guess it depends on how extensive your SACD collection is.  
Best,
I think the Steller Gain DAC would be absolutely awsome in your system because of several factors:

-  SACD and PCM audio is already compromised by HDMI interface and reduces the sound quality due to timing/clocking issue inherent in the HDMI protocol.

- Steller Gain uses fully discrete Class A analog circuits which would just "sing" in comparison to your Denon

- The i2s is pretty much the best digital transport signal to send digital audio.

- Steller Gain will also be used in "Home Theater Mode" as a pass-through for the Denon when doing multi-channel movies.  The Class A analog stage of the Steller Gain will actually improve the left/right signals from Denon and give it more "life" and "singing".
Thanks for the input.  Regarding the I2S connection, is that only a PS Audio technology, or might there be some less expensive CD player that has I2S output that I could connect to the Stellar Gain?