Speaker Recommendation: 20K range

I’m looking for new speakers in the <20K range. 

I am not looking for used, unless it’s a demo model straight from an AD.

I am hoping to find a line that clearly beats speakers in the ~10K range like Magico A3, Revel 228BE, Legacy Focus SE etc.

I will be pairing the speakers with a Lumin D2 streamer, Mcintosh C2600 pre and MC452 amp. Changing those components is not going to happen anytime soon and so system synergy with those pieces is important. 

I also would like the speakers to be rated at 500W given the amp I will be using and the fact that the listening space is quite large. 

While I mostly listen to jazz, rock, pop, classical and vocals, I am really looking for speakers that sound amazing with any genre. I also need them to sound great at moderate levels of volume. 

I currently have Focal Kanta No 2s, and while they are quite nice, I want something much better in all respects. 

I am not really up to speed on all the audiophile terms that describe the various traits of sound – I just want my jaw to drop when listening to the speakers with any genre at all volume levels, if that’s possible :) 

I am close to NYC and would like to narrow down the list to ~5 candidates before I start auditioning.

Hopefully you guys can help me compile a list!

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

chandybe
First, asking to handle 500W is an almost meaningless request, as a 100dB speaker would need 5W to get as loud as an 80dB speaker with 500W. Most all music is mastered with 3-6dB of headroom above their peaks, meaning their peaks should register somewhere around 99-102dB in your listening position (almost nobody listens even close to this loud normally though); if you sit 4 meters away, an 85dB speaker would need around 155W to reach 102dB peaks.

For all the speakers I’ll list, I’ll also state their max peaks (per speaker, +3dB if the sound is coming from both) if sitting 4 meters away (+3dB to +4dB if sitting 2 meters away).

• Kef Reference 5 (112.1dB), or save up for the Blade 2 (112.1dB)

• Salk SoundScape 12 (103.1dB), long wait time but is custom finished in whatever you want); for this price range I bet you’d be willing to take the trip to listen to these. One of the only speakers you’ll see that is close to full range, no subwoofer(s) needed (still would benefit though).

• Focal Scale V2 Utopia (doesn’t state, it recommends 500W but it likely won’t handle that much, but at 200W it’d be 111dB) 

• Revel Studio2 (doesn’t state anything in amplification, but at 100W, playing it safe, it’d be 103.7dB). 

• Sell your pre/amp, get a Dutch & Dutch 8c (99dB if not crossed over), and add dual Rythmik FV18’s and crossover (via the 8c’s settings) at like 40Hz. This speaker is truly a marvel of modern engineering, you’ve probably heard of the Kii Three, well this is even better.

Don’t forget about room treatment, it can add serious improvements.
Lots of competent speakers at that price point but if you want to push the needle to exceptional then I agree with Duke--check out some of the "little guys" who sell direct. I would strongly second the recommended Daedalus Apollo 11s. I heard them in Ferndale last year and they took my breath away. Certainly a big, bold, organic sound that will fill your room with gorgeous music. I've got the little brother (Apollo's) on order and should have them next month. I'm just outside NYC and on the NJ Transit line. If your still looking then, and the Daedalus are on your short list, and want to get a good idea of what the Daedalus sound is all about, send me a PM and I'd be happy to have you over for a listen. Good luck with your search!
I scrolled all the way to the bottom without reading any previous posts,yet. You do understand the rule of diminishing returns in hifi right? $20k isn't going to get you twice as much quality as the a3, persona 3, kanta 2, F2289be. I like that focal lists the size room their specific speakers will sound best in and would like to see more manufacturers do it. Most companies have their house sound and each line will offer more transparency while the speakers in each line will suit different rooms. Often i've found brands who's statement line was also the least musical, like all that accuracy sucked the life out of them. Demo all the brands you can and if possible with your own gear( I usually wait til my list is down to 2 or 3) and when you hear the speaker that makes you want to drop everything and buy it stop and listen to several in the line regardless of price, tell the dealer the size room and gear the speakers are going in... Just Kidding find a pair of Vienna Acoustics 'The Music' make the best deal you can and go home happy you have the greatest speakers in the world.
@steve59

Sorry, but no, going off the Stereophile measurements, Vienna Acoustics are terrible for the money, way overpriced, just look at his listening window measurement for their Klimt the Kiss speaker, utterly atrocious, not even $100 speakers are as poorly tonanly balanced as those, and it’s directivty is super poor as well.
Focal Sopra 3 and Rockport Atria will pair well with your Mc452 amp & C2600 tube preamp.