Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

"Dr John memorably described James Booker as "the best black, gay, one-eyed junkie piano genius New Orleans has ever produced."

Why did so many jazz genius's have to be junkies; it didn't help them to play better, no junkie would ever tell you that lie, but it's common knowledge according to the public.

Even if they were not musicians, they would have still been junkies, but that's another conversation.

Nina Simone:

The first 'Spell' was brilliant.   The lush strings, normally a disaster, actually makes this recording.

Notice at 1:55, she sings / scats what the Sax just played.   She going Ella on us?

Great clip.

The other two, not so good.

Cheers

*****"Dr John memorably described James Booker as "the best black, gay, one-eyed junkie piano genius New Orleans has ever produced."*****

As we used to say in Mississippi:

It takes one to know one.    we were soooooooooooo cool.

Cheers

I'm going to compare Nina Simone to the most beautiful and best jazz diva's of our time, and I want you to give your opinion.

I have a point to make, but not until after your evaluation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Y11hwjMNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPovfFpX56k

I'm not going to make any comparison, I'll leave that to you. I just posted two versions of feeling good, for you to compare.

Try to pick two versions of the same song; one by Nina, and the other by your favorite diva.

I have a surprise valid point to be made after you have made comparisons and evaluations.

Nina was going downhill toward the end, so picking something at a bad time is a clear foul and wont count.

Lets give ourselves plenty of time for this; tomorrow afternoon sounds like a good time to conclude.
Orpheus,
I like the first link of a younger Nina Simone. Her vocals are ok on that one. Her piano playing was always good..

The second link she is older and it shows. You can hear it in her singing. Piano is still the same.

Throughout her entire career Simone's vocals never really did much for me. Just never grabbed me deep in my gut like Sarah Vaughn or Julie London.  I found her voice to be a little to much on the rough side. I'm not sure why but her voice does not make me feel subdued and mystified.

Simone is always listed in the top 10 or 5 on any top 50 female jazz vocalists you can google online and that says a lot about her prowess as a singer.

That being said, everybody hears things differently and on my list she would be higher up.

It’s a voice we’re supposed to hate. Gloomy, uninviting, and hoarse. Overpowering and booming in the low register, rocky and rasping when high. It’s often unstable, fluctuating within both pitch and timbre. Yet it’s these imperfections that make a voice so beautifully Nina Simone....Prescilla Bajomo.

Entire text here:http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/30957/1/nina-simone-s-complex-voice