DAC Confusion

Just picked up a used Bluesound N100 at a local HiFi store in my parts that was listed here. Mentioned to the sales guy that I am starting fresh with a new system and need amplification. He suggested an integrated amp with a built-in DAC (NAD 368). Here’s my question: aside from the relative merits of that NAD unit, why would I need a built-in DAC when the N100 has its own DAC? He claimed the NAD DAC is superior to the one in the N100 and thus worth the extra $ I’d be paying compared with an integrated without a DAC. Hmmmm.... really? I know there can be qualitative, significant differences in performance between DACs, but between the one in the NAD 368 vs the N100? I’m a bit skeptical, and he didn’t seem too eager to let me do a listening test.

Bottom line, I gotta buy an integrated and my shelf space (and budget) is a bit tight, so if I’m gonna go the “Swiss army knife” route (to borrow a phrase from a related thread), it’s gonna be for a built-in phono stage for my LPs, not a redundant built-in DAC.

BTW, this will be driving a pair of efficient bookshelf speakers so I don’t need a ton of power. Of course, I mentioned that to the sales guy and he argued that I should buy as much power now as I could afford, to “future-proof” my purchase in case I decide to upgrade to more difficult-to-drive speakers later on. 

That’s when I left the store ;)

Sorry for the long-winded post. I’m a newbie and my head is spinning a bit over all of this.

128x128davidb928
Those Marantz models are on my short list, so glad to hear they’re well-regarded. I do think the N100 DAC will suit me fine until I’m ready to upgrade to a separate DAC, so that’s probably going to be the plan. Will keep y’all posted when I finally make a decision and get this system up and running. Thanks! 
Buy something like a nuprime DAC 9, or 10, which can be used as a preamp, to drive a separate amp. I assume you can also use it with a simple and separate phono amp that should take up very little space. You are then set for the future. 
Given you also play vinyl, I agree with your thought to focus on an integrated that has a quality phonostage, use the N100 DAC for now and explore the DAC market for a possible upgrade later.
I would give a huge shout out here for the little amp that can.

NAD D3020mk2.

I do not know your budget or how many sources you need connect but for the money this is hard to beat.

Yes it is rated at "only" 30wpc but it has no difficulty driving my Epos bookshelves to beyond comfortable listening levels.

Inputs for Toslink, spdif, analog input AND a separate MM only phono input. Has Bluetooth input as well which I do use to stream Tidal from my phone to it, very handy.

Also has a sub out which I use to just fill in the bottom end from the Epos bookshelves.
And a headphone out what is not too like about if for well under $400!

I have not regretted that purchase one bit.

I use with a tt and an old Sony PS3 as disc transport.
Post removed