Eminent Technology LFT-8b in Harry's system

I recently signed up for the V.P.I. Industries newsletter, and today received my first such. In it, Harry Weisfeld reviews a Grado phono cartridge, but this post concerns one of the speakers he listed as being those he uses to listen to music and evaluate recordings through. All but one are traditional dynamic cones/domes in a box designs, only one being a planar/dipole. That planar is the Eminent Technology LFT-8b. I'm pretty sure Harry could, if he so chose, have instead as his sole planar a pair of $6000 Magneplanar MG 3.7i's, or even $14,000 20.7's. But nope, he instead chose the $2500 ET LFT-8b, imo the greatest value in a loudspeaker on the market. I compared it to the 1.7i, and the difference was dramatic.
128x128bdp24
It has been approximately a year now that I have been running the LFT8b. As described above some issues with distortion can occur if, like in my case, the panel has lost tension during the transport. While the dealer didn’t have a clue about the cause (probably meaning that my case is rare) of that abnormal distortion occurring with heavy bass, with the attentionate support of Bruce I managed to fix the problem by tightening some screws et voilà. In spite of not having the best possible conditions because of lack of space and the configuration of my, temporary, living-room (side-walls too close, no stands, too much furniture) these are by far the most enjoyable (and among the cheapest) speakers I have ever had in 30+ years of audiophilia. My DarTZeel CTH-8550 integrated amplifier is of course a great partner for these revealing and unforgiving speakers. 😍
Mine arrive this week, after a long wait. It’s a wait I’ve been happy to have made, considering Bruce’s shop was
right in the path of Hurricane Michael. He reported that everything survived intact. Unfortunately, his workers homes required a ton of clean-up. (As of today, he says everyone is back to 95%).
I’m moving my Monitor Audio GR60s into my second system, after 16 faithful years of service. I haven’t been this excited for a component change in a long while. If you ever get to listen to these, don’t pass up on the opportunity. I have 1.7is, so I’ll be doing an A/B comparison with my Rogue Audio ST 100 sometime in the near future. If anyone is interested, I can fill you in.  
Brucefredrick. I also have the Straigtbwire Maestros. Excellent to hear that there’s synergy there! 
The  LFT8b cost far too little for what it can do. Thigpen is brilliant and it is a shame that these speakers do not get more attention.

@lewm  I use a pair of Beveridge Model 3 speakers with RM s DD amps by passing the internal step up and crossover network. I use the amp with a shallow 1st order crossover on the input at about 70-80hz with the rest going to a pair of RELs . Very nice- if only Beveridge had access to modern subs back then. The amps BTW have a tube input and driver. I run silicone test prod wires from the amp to the stators.

Have fun with the ET ... it is a great product.

The low price of the LFT-8b works against it in the mind of audiophiles who equate price with quality and performance. But it’s more than just that; far more people own Magnepan MG1.7’s than LFT-8b’s (approximately the same price after Mye and Sound Anchor stands, respectively, are bought for each), many of them not even knowing of Eminent Technology. That’s a result of ET having far fewer dealers than Magnepan, and getting far fewer reviews. I believe many 1.7 owners, had they heard the Magnepans and ET’s side-by-side, would have instead purchased the ET’s. But ET exists like a cult-level band, known only by the hippest music lovers. Flying under the radar, so to speak.

The same is true of Music Reference (the RM nkj refers to directly above is Roger Modjeski, designer/builder/owner of Music Reference products. Roger designed the direct-drive tube amps for the Beveridge ESL’s, and now makes his own direct-drive tube amp/ESL loudspeaker with sub system, available for $12,000/pr). Roger is very much like Eminent Technology’s Bruce Thigpen, designing and making products offering ridiculous value, yet owned by far fewer audiophiles than those of more "trendy" companies, ownership of which carries with it more audiophile cache’ and bragging rights.

How many have compared an RM-9 or RM-200 against an ARC, Conrad-Johnson, Quicksilver, Jadis, VTL, Manley, Shindo, Cary, Lamm, Ypsilon, McIntosh, Allnic, etc. amp? Aside from Brooks Berdan, only Michael Fremer, as far as I know. Brooks had sold ARC when he was at GNP Audio, and chose VTL, Jadis, McIntosh, and, yes, Music Reference as his tube brands (along with a few others) when he opened his own shop. It was he who turned me on to both Eminent Technology and Music Reference, two of his favorite companies and product lines. Wise man.