Best MM?

I want to try a MM with my Herron VTPH-2a. What's the best one? Maestro 2, Zephyr III, AT VM760SLC? Something else?
dhcod
Dear @dgarretson : IMHO the Etna  needs a better tonearm and preferable no-knife bearing and certainly not an all metal headshell that's not a good " friend " for any cartridge. You own the Kuzma that's very well damped tonearm. In the other side tubes are not the best " friend " for any cartridge either. I know: all is relative as orpheus pointed out.

R.
Dear @vortrex : Yes, that figure is correct. I tested in different arms not only mines but from the other gentlemans too. We don't have any problem for that regards.

Through that long MM thread we had many many examples of very high compliance cartridges mounted on not medium but even very high mass tonearms with good performances, no trouble at all.

R.
I have received my Induced Magnet ADC high-compliance cartridge not so long ago. This is New Old Stock of the ADC TRX-2, but i have not tried it yet :) I hope it’s much better than ADC Astrion which i had NOS, but didn’t liked.

I just put together some facts about ADC and thair lastest TRX series. I’m sure someone will find it interesting.

Audio innovator Peter Pritchard founded ADC (Audio Dynamics Corporation) in USA in the early 1960’s. Since that day the ADC was a manufacturer of very high performances magnetic phono cartridges. ADC pickups were notable for their extremely high compliance and low tracking forces. They were all based on his "induced magnet" principle, which derived from the older GE variable-reluctance cartridges that had been game-changers for affordable magnetic phono pick-ups in the 1950s. GE’s patent, filed May 2, 1960, acknowledges Peter Ernest Pritchard as the inventor. Later, a very successful speaker line produced locally in New Milford. ADC also made lighweight tonearms.

Mr.Pritchard sold ADC in the late 1970s and began producing the successful Sonus line of phono pickups.

However, the ADC (Audio Dynamics Corporation) under a new ownership continued making High-End cartridges. To develop ADC sound the company hired Nakansuka San from Japan, now he’s the owner of ultra high-end brand ZYX. You may think that ZYX is this brave new phono cartridge manufacturer, but its founder and chief designer, Hisayoshi Nakatsuka, is far from being a newcomer. Nakatsuka San has been working for Namiki (there he managed the OEM cartridge business for several manufacturers), Accuphase, Adcom, Ortofon ... Back in the 70’s top of the line ADC TRX series was designed by Nakatsuka San (ZYX). Flagship models ADC TRX-2 with Sapphire cantilever and Vital II nude diamond is one of the best ADC cartridge designed under new ownership.

The tri-pole Induced Magnetic System has a unique internal construction featuring a three-pole armature made of mu-metal. Its advantages include low-distortion tracing of stereo signals and consistently wide strereo separation across a wide frequency range. In its magnetic circuit a samarium cobalt magnet is used which, together with the 3-pole armature, forms an efficient induced magnet system.

The tension wire, of special resin, helps define the fulcrum of the cantilever. In combination with a damper made of selected rubber, it provides the cartridge with higher compliance, better tracking and wider dynamic range.

The cartridge body is fashioned from die-cast aluminum, and the stylus assembly is firmly fixed to the body by a screw so no part of the cartridge resonates or vibrates. This prevents sound coloration.

The TRX-2 cantilever is a precision-made sapphire tube. Due to its excellent hardness and rigidity resonance is reduced to practically zero. The stylus tip is a nude diamond, featuring low mass and large contact area (ADC Vital III type PH LineContact 0.32 x 1.57 mil) for lower record wear. This is a wire suspension system to define the fulcrum and provide extended frequency response and low distortion at low tracking force.

Specification of the ADC TRX-2 IM cartridge:
Stylus type: nude PH line contact (vital III)
Cantilever: sapphire tube
Output voltage: 3mV
Channel balance: within 0.5dB
Channel separation (1kHz): more than 30dB
Frequency response (+/-1.5dB): 20 to 30,000Hz
Compliance: 40cu
Impedance (1kHz): 3.0 kOhm
DC Resistance: 960 Ohm
Tracking force: 1.2g (+/- 0.2g)
Load resistance: 47K ohms (Capacitance 275pF)
Weight: 6.5g

An old company address:
BSR (USA) LTD.
ADC Division
Route 303
Blauvelt, N.Y. 10913. U.S.A.
I have a never-used TRX-2 that's been sitting in my cartridge drawer for a couple of years. I'll be interested in your opinion.