Phono Stages with External Power Supplies...Worth It?

I basically know what phono stage I am buying (Odyssey Suspiro) but what I can't decide on is whether getting the better version with the external power supply is worth the extra money (Reference).

My current phono is MM only (Lounge LCR MKIII) so I've only ever ran MM carts but I think eventually I would like to get into MC. So how much difference can it make? for 40% more money is it that much better ($1200 vs $1950)
gochurchgo
@fsonicsmith that makes perfect sense. Thsnks

@stereo5 I’ve yet to run across anyone NOT running the reference version. It’s not a money issue as my budget is $2k it’s more that I’ll be downsizing to studio apartments when I get empty nested so I’m trying to have my endgame system not have 27 boxes.  Part of me thinks to skip on the reference and go with the standard to then make my stereo Khartago into monos. 
fsonicsmith, I am surprised you would place the AR Ref6 above the Steelhead, but if you are a "solder slinger", like me, I can suggest some very small changes to the Steelhead that make it sound worlds better.  Either PM me or indicate here if you want the information and my suggestions.

gochurchgo, Sounds like you want emotional support for the decision to do without the external PS, which seems to be your preference, not based on performance but on space allocation, which is fine.  Someone else pointed out that you can always "upgrade" to the external supply at a later date, if you should feel you need it.  That sounds like the "win-win" solution for your particular needs.
@lewm incorrect. Merely asking for thoughts on external power supplies in a general sense
I'd suggest buy it sans PS and see how you like it. The real question is, will you always wonder? 
In my years of dealing with Naim equipment, I found that adding a power supply made a huge improvement in the sound.  Not just "smoother" or "more musical" or stuff like that.  It made the music sound more musically complete, like going from standard TV to hi-res.  That may not be the case with your particular piece, but you should absolutely try one with a return privilege.  I was talking about power supplies with Peter Qvortrup from Audio Note and he told me that many people have severe space limitations, dictating 1-box solutions, but otherwise, he always prefers a separate large PS.  Enjoy.