VPI Aries 3 - Funk Firm 3mm Acromat

I am thinking of adding a 3mm Achromat to my VPI Aries 3 TT. I have the super platter with the screw clamp and peripheral ring clamp. I was thinking of replacing the screw clamp and ring clamp. Instead, I was thinking of using a 3mm Achromat and a heavy HRS record puck.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on this move? 

Does anyone know how many turns on the VTA tower would equal the extra 3mm thickness of the Achromat?

VPI Aries 3, 10.5i arm, Super Platter, Peripheral ring, Single Flywheel Motor, SDS, Lyra Delos
Ag insider logo xs@2xpilrem
I agree with those who say don't try to improve on the super platter.  You might try substituting a center weight for the center clamp and removing the washer--mostly for the convenience of just dropping it on.  But that, the super platter and the peripheral weight should be about as good as it gets.
melm.....for me, the elimination of the SuperPlatter, with the installation of the classic platter was a very substantial improvement.  For all those with a spindle weight, go to the VPI website in the Harry section.
I preferred the Stillpoint puck over the VPI heavyweight.  For a 3mm difference in ht, the required turns on the VTA tower would be 3.78 turns (1/32"/turn).
@pilrem,

I can't really comment on some of your equipment as I've never heard it. I will say this. I own a Classic 3 Sig SE and a Townshend Rock 7. Two completely different TT designs. They both sound better without any sort of weight or clamp and the Funk Firm 5mm mat.

This could change, but right now and for quite a while, this is how I've been enjoying music.
I have an early VPI Aries Extended (12" JMW Memorial Arm) with a version of the "super platter."  So far, all the mats I've tried have degraded sonic quality.  I will be testing a sample of the latest VPI mat this week to see how it performs.

I use the supplied screw clamp with the rubber washer around the spindle.  I screw the clamp just tight enough to mate the record to the platter surface (light tapping on the record surface sounds hollow into the record is mated to the platter, then it sounds solid.)  It is very effective.  I have control over the amount of clamping pressure using the screw clamp.  The weighted "clamp" provides no variable pressure.

That said, I have heard superior performance using the Stillpoints puck over the weighted options (on a VPI Classic 3).