Reel to Reel Tape

I have an analogue setup. Although I have a CD player in the system. But everything else is an analogue. I am listening to Reel to Reel tape decks, I have a few of them, and I also have DBX 224X-DS attached. Does anyone else have similar setup? I find the DBX to be quite awesome. What's your opinion?
almandog
Newbie here, I am smitten by recent resurgence of R2R tape decks. I went through few listening sessions at AXPONA and RMAF this year and came away quite impressed. 

@almandog,

I am interested in exploring R2R tape deck. Can i send you a PM to see what you may have available to sell? 
IME the Studer is one of the best sounding solid state machines. They look clunky (I have the A-80) but they deliver. The Ampex 351 electronics is more musical, but also can be noisier. To deal with some of the tape handling issues, I set the 351 electronics up with the AG-440 transport. But I find that the Studer gets more use- probably because its just so much easier to use.
would agree with topoxforddoc and RUSSE41. Good LP is better than digital and tape blows away both LP and digital.

The big problem with tape is its an addictive drug... . once you start listening to it, you want more and more of it. Its very tough to listen to tape, then revert back to digital and even LP. Digital becomes akin to a transistor AM radio. All you will want is more and more of that tape sound.

I have both 15 and 30 ips masters, and many copies. Also do live to 2 track recording on the weekends.

If you want to do a simple test, have a few friends over, set up set of mics and record to both digital and tape. Even the conversation in the room will work.

Then play back both copies, you can A-B. You will be shocked at how good the tape is at reproducing what you experienced live.

best

Do you think that digital omits more than the tape or adds more than the tape or both ? Whatever that might be.