Speakers positionning

I just try a new toe-in for my speakers, and it worth the move.  Instead of crossing the focus behind my head ( at position seat), now it cross in front of me at 2 feet.  The highs are well defined and present  with well blend music and no more edgy treble at "forté" passage...  But it depends of your room and speakers...  You can read more about here:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/speaker-positioning-toe-in.321814/
audiosens
My Magnepan 20.7 are toed in ’ahead’ of my listening position. With tweeters ’in’. The are only 18" closest edge, away from side walls. The outer edge of speaker is 58 1/2 inches forward of back wall, the inner edge is only 42 inches from back wall. Magnepan suggests the tweeter SHOULD be farther from the person than the bass panel. This arrangement meets that suggestion by maybe an inch or two.This is close to the same position I had my 3.6 Magnepan at (the 3.6 I added a 5" full height wing off the woofer side, that made them exactly the same width as my new 20.7s) When I got my Marantz SA-10 SACD i was able to dial in the exact position with female vocals to lock in the image. (It did move them slightly)
Now I wrote down the exact distances so I can move them to clean, and get them back, EXACT!
FWIW I said it wrong. The toe in would be 22.5 degrees PAST CENTER or the on-axis position.
Just reading this thread all the way through, it is apparent how different the speakers, rooms and listening preferences are among A'gon members.  This thread also shines a light on how differently we listen to our systems.  My system is in a dedicated room, optimized for one listener.  Some of you have quite different goals in mind and hence, what to me, seem like extreme set-ups to achieve that goal.  Live and let live!

I've always preferred the sound of a speaker closer to straight ahead, rather than toed in (or with very slight toe-in).  I generally find this produces a smoother, more filled out sound, more dimensional soundstage, etc.  With decent off axis performance, image focus can be good as well.

One effect of toe-in I've never liked is how it tends to squeeze the sound too small.

I did listen to a set up not too long ago (Magic A3) with the severe toe in some are recommending - crossed well in front of the listener.  It "worked" but I frankly didn't like it quite as much as speakers facing closer to straight ahead. 

All to personal taste, of course.
Moral of the story: individual speakers vary a great deal, rooms vary a great deal, interactions between the two vary a great.  So, it's best to keep an open mind and experiment as much as possible, even with "unconventional" configurations.