Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Horowitz really had it, but each major pianist had their own individual forte, be it technical virtuosity or interpretation.
Kind of like how Art Tatum, James P. Johnson and Fats Waller could play stride, but each had an individual approach.
B
I have the Sony boxed set of the Horowitz celebration CDs and at least once a week something from it is listened to. That Scarlatti disc of his is legendary and no wonder the playing is superhuman and if you look at him playing there is hardly a flicker from his face. I don't know about you people but I hate all this swaying and gesticulating on the piano stool. I went years ago to the Edinburgh Festival to see Mitsuko Uchida oops sorry ( Dame ) now. I could not look at her the faces and gesturing from her really put me off and I wasn't pleased because it was an all Schubert recital and at the time I had a few of her records but watching her I don't even know how she played that day because I was so off. Go back to earlier times and you had Horowitz , Richter, Arrau , Gilels and others who sat at the piano and the only thing you could see moving was their arms and hands and hardly a grimace from them and those men were superlative at technique as well .
Having seizure like activity seems to be in style for a modern pianist.  Matsuev reminds me of Gilels in that sense, minimal upper body movement. I totally agree with jim about Mitsuko, quite distasteful. As for Khatia Buniatishvili, I don't think she's even in the same universe with Matsuev. All these young Russian women get on stage half naked and get praised for their "technique". How about Lola Astanova? Nearly a million views on youtube. Check out this talent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdDLvED_4E

I find Buniatishvili to be an imaginative and probing musician as well as a formidable technician.
Maybe I need to take a closer listen. To which recordings are you referring  specifically ? 

What about Boris Giltburg? Just heard his Rach 3 on Tidal, very impressive tone.