$10k Speaker Cables??????????????

Where does this madness end??? My friend the editor reviews this craziness!!
https://www.soundstageaustralia.com/index.php/reviews/209-in-akustik-referenz-ls4004-air-loudspeaker...

Cheers George
128x128georgehifi
I think those are primarily for people who want to be able to say they have $7221 speaker cables.............

But that's not fair is it? If $1500 cables (like mine) are better than $500 cables which are better than $100 cables....who are we to question why $7000 cables aren't worth every penny. And they're pretty too.
Old news, Iā€™m afraid. The real news is $40K speaker cables and $25K interconnects. And even that is old news.
George,

Doesn't Synergistic Research and Hi Fidelity make some even pricier cables in the good Ole' USA ?

ozzy

I DIY'd a very similar topology with air insulation a few years back when I was in my home brew cable phase. The build was straightforward; clear poly tubing plus acrylic spacers and some solid conductors. Probably <$100 all in for a set of 3m cables.Ā 

I abandoned this project for unrelated reasons, but with a couple of unresolved concerns. First, the surface area of the spacers touching the wire isn't large but also isn't zero so does that limit the benefits of using air as an insulator in a meaningful way?

Second, how was I going to avoid humidity in the cable (and tarnish buildup on the conductor). My shop wasn't exactly a lab grade clean room and this seemed like the biggest hurdle to overcome to achieve a viable application.

Third, I used a fewer number of spacers, which meant a fewer number of crossing points, so I was worried about inductance, but had planned to resolve that once I get past the POC.Ā 

Anyway, hats off to them for what looks like a nice build. Hopefully they will be demo'd at a show and I can hear how the pros do it.

Ā