Streamer Advice: Bluesound Node 2 vs Aries Mini vs Oppo

Hello,

I know a lot of these advice threads already exist, and plenty of useful info from those. I’m looking for a network streamer with a budget of $500 ($600 is my absolute max). I’ll be playing my own redbook quality FLAC files, and streaming via Tidal. The Bluesound Node 2 and Auralic Aries Mini each check a lot of boxes for me, but I’m having a hard time finding an Aries Mini for sale.

My questions are...

Is there a significant benefit to the Aries Mini over the Bluesound Node 2? If folks think I’m better off with the Aries Mini I don’t mind waiting, and continuing the search for one.

And would an Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-105 be a better choice compared to either the Bluesound or Auralic?

I can’t afford the prices that Oppo UDP models are fetching, but I’m finding a lot of BDP-103s between $300-$500 and even some BDP-105s around $500-$600.

Having a Blu-Ray, CD, SACD player coupled with streaming is very enticing. Since Oppo’s digital components are no longer in production my hesitation is software support potentially going away.

Thanks, and cheers!
- MD

128x128bomd
I have a node 2. Your comment implies you’ve heard both and the 2i sounds better. Is this so?
I thought the difference between node2 and 2i, and vault2 and 2i was just connection options like airplay etc.

My understanding was that the internal DAC were the same.

So in theory there should not be much difference in SQ if any.

Hi, bomd,

The Oppo 103 is not the same as the Oppo 105 when comparing sound quality; the 105 is a better player. I have a 103 and it's fine as a CD transport but the sound quality of its internal DAC is not as good compared to the internal DAC of a Rega Apollo or the Node 2, which I also own. The Node 2/2i has a better interface than the Oppo 103 if you plan on using an external USB drive for playback and if you end up with a NAS drive for file storage (which I use) the Node 2/2i works really well.

If you need a multi-player and have a limited budget then a used Oppo 105 is probably an OK choice. Any time you buy a used mechanical device it will be an unknown risk and whether Oppo will continue to service its discontinued models is even less certain. But if you're really looking for a digital player/streamer/bridge than the Node 2i is an excellent choice for $500. If you can find a new Node 2 for less, all the better. As others have pointed out, the sound quality of the Node 2/2i can be improved with an external DAC (that's what I do) but the internal DAC is actually quite good.

Ask a dozen people for advice and you'll get a dozen different suggestions. '-)

Regards,

Tom

@tketcham 

I think this was the exact response I was hoping to get.  I've learned that if I go with an Oppo the 105 is the way to go.  But I hear what you're saying in regard to a used mechanical device, and whether software for this player will continue to be supported or not.

The Bluesound Node 2i is where I'm leaning now.