Streamer Advice: Bluesound Node 2 vs Aries Mini vs Oppo

Hello,

I know a lot of these advice threads already exist, and plenty of useful info from those. I’m looking for a network streamer with a budget of $500 ($600 is my absolute max). I’ll be playing my own redbook quality FLAC files, and streaming via Tidal. The Bluesound Node 2 and Auralic Aries Mini each check a lot of boxes for me, but I’m having a hard time finding an Aries Mini for sale.

My questions are...

Is there a significant benefit to the Aries Mini over the Bluesound Node 2? If folks think I’m better off with the Aries Mini I don’t mind waiting, and continuing the search for one.

And would an Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-105 be a better choice compared to either the Bluesound or Auralic?

I can’t afford the prices that Oppo UDP models are fetching, but I’m finding a lot of BDP-103s between $300-$500 and even some BDP-105s around $500-$600.

Having a Blu-Ray, CD, SACD player coupled with streaming is very enticing. Since Oppo’s digital components are no longer in production my hesitation is software support potentially going away.

Thanks, and cheers!
- MD

128x128bomd

Hi, bomd,

The Oppo 103 is not the same as the Oppo 105 when comparing sound quality; the 105 is a better player. I have a 103 and it's fine as a CD transport but the sound quality of its internal DAC is not as good compared to the internal DAC of a Rega Apollo or the Node 2, which I also own. The Node 2/2i has a better interface than the Oppo 103 if you plan on using an external USB drive for playback and if you end up with a NAS drive for file storage (which I use) the Node 2/2i works really well.

If you need a multi-player and have a limited budget then a used Oppo 105 is probably an OK choice. Any time you buy a used mechanical device it will be an unknown risk and whether Oppo will continue to service its discontinued models is even less certain. But if you're really looking for a digital player/streamer/bridge than the Node 2i is an excellent choice for $500. If you can find a new Node 2 for less, all the better. As others have pointed out, the sound quality of the Node 2/2i can be improved with an external DAC (that's what I do) but the internal DAC is actually quite good.

Ask a dozen people for advice and you'll get a dozen different suggestions. '-)

Regards,

Tom

@tketcham 

I think this was the exact response I was hoping to get.  I've learned that if I go with an Oppo the 105 is the way to go.  But I hear what you're saying in regard to a used mechanical device, and whether software for this player will continue to be supported or not.

The Bluesound Node 2i is where I'm leaning now.

@uberwaltz - The Node 2i upgrade was more than just added functionality. According to a couple of accounts I've read, improvements in the circuit layout, due to the reduced size of the Wi-Fi chipset, produced noticeable/significant improvements in SQ.

I think you should upgrade and report back to us on the results.........:~)

Then I stand corrected on the node version.
I have the vault which is wired internet connection only so that wifi chipset improvement might not be  applicable to the vault.

I am going to go sit in a corner and be quiet now...…..
We recently got a Vault- loving it.   Interconnects and digital coax are Cardas Parsec and it’s hooked to a Wyred 4 Sound Dac2.  Also using a Ethernet extender.  Adding the  Cardas coax really added to the richness of the sound.  Had an inexpensive Tributary before that.    Took a while to load all those cds into the vault but found many treasures we had forgotten about over the years!