Streamer Advice: Bluesound Node 2 vs Aries Mini vs Oppo

Hello,

I know a lot of these advice threads already exist, and plenty of useful info from those. I’m looking for a network streamer with a budget of $500 ($600 is my absolute max). I’ll be playing my own redbook quality FLAC files, and streaming via Tidal. The Bluesound Node 2 and Auralic Aries Mini each check a lot of boxes for me, but I’m having a hard time finding an Aries Mini for sale.

My questions are...

Is there a significant benefit to the Aries Mini over the Bluesound Node 2? If folks think I’m better off with the Aries Mini I don’t mind waiting, and continuing the search for one.

And would an Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-105 be a better choice compared to either the Bluesound or Auralic?

I can’t afford the prices that Oppo UDP models are fetching, but I’m finding a lot of BDP-103s between $300-$500 and even some BDP-105s around $500-$600.

Having a Blu-Ray, CD, SACD player coupled with streaming is very enticing. Since Oppo’s digital components are no longer in production my hesitation is software support potentially going away.

Thanks, and cheers!
- MD

128x128bomd
We recently got a Vault- loving it.   Interconnects and digital coax are Cardas Parsec and it’s hooked to a Wyred 4 Sound Dac2.  Also using a Ethernet extender.  Adding the  Cardas coax really added to the richness of the sound.  Had an inexpensive Tributary before that.    Took a while to load all those cds into the vault but found many treasures we had forgotten about over the years!    
Maritime51, l have the Vault 2 at my mountain home and now have the new Node 2i at my winter home.  I have not compared them directly in the same system.  There is rather large price disparity between the two systems.  I find the Vault performs very well and sounds great within the context of that system.
The Node 2i is in a 50k plus system that is very well sorted.  I might expect such a component to sound ok, or hopefully decent and that was my mind set.

The sound quality is stunning in many areas.  Soundstage is deep with excellent separation between instruments.  The piano sounds natural without the usual digital artifacts.  Top end is extended and liquid with no glare or listening fatigue.  Imaging is 3D on well recorded selections.  On many occasions I have noticed an uncanny ability for certain sounds to startle oneself into thinking “wow, what was that?  That sounded real.”  Oh, and the bass?  It goes deep with a lot of weight behind it.  

You all all know that feeling when you buy something that exceeds your expectations by a magnitude you thought impossible.  That special feeling of glee and exhilaration is a wonderful thing.

So yes, I think the 2i is something unique and special.
@rhljazz 

Thanks for sharing!  What DAC are you using with your Node 2i?

I'm definitely settled on picking up a Node 2i.

Great question. I’ve got a nuprime Evolution DAC on order. If he uses the Bluesound DAC, I’m glad to hear it. 
I’m using the internal dac which is the impressive part.  The 2i is plugged into a Shunyata Hydra.  Cabling to the preamp is Morrow MA3.  I am just now past the 100 hour mark.  My systems are on my page.