Pheonix Engineering Road Runner

This product was very popular when produced by Phoenix Engineering before they went out of business and seems to be even more popular after. My question is why hasn't some other manufacturer made something similar? The demand seems to be there.
sgunther
has2be, you’ve posted a practical statement which, I would guess, most are capable of understanding. I’ve been in the process of modifying a Thoren’s TD 145 but still haven’t replaced the weakest link, the TP-16 tonearm. So to offset the tonearm’s limitations, I’ve mounted it with the AT 33 mono cartridge.I wish I could spend $30,000.00 on a turntable however like most, I cannot. So I’ve learned to expect and accept certain limitations from my TT. I would say that my greatest dissatisfaction comes from wow and flutter and from vintage offset pressings.
So this is where digital comes in and given that I have a good analogue sounding DAC and that almost all classical recordings are currently in digital format, it’s a no brainer.
So any recommendations on which replacement tonearm I should consider?
Sorry, I mean to ask, if a tonearm should be my sole focus or if a roadrunner tachometer would make any sense with a Thoren's belt drive TT?The way I understand this thread is that a tachometer would show the inconsistencies in my rotation speed but it wouldn't offer a way to correct it.
Goofy 

Your correct on mine it only display what speed your table is turning at.  As did the Roadrunner, but it could “talk” to the Falcon power supply which corrected any speed irregularities as well as is possible on a belt driven table.  

I dont know much about the TD124 if it has an asynchronous AC motor it should work with it. As I mentioned above Sota is reintroducing the combination next month.

Good Listening 

Peter 
Goofy,

Dont know your budget for tonearm - but definitely look into the new Jelco TK series of tonearms - they are s bargain at their asking price.

Good Listening 

Peter 
I find this discussion interesting since I ditched my belt drive VPI's for idlers-a hot rodded Thorens TD124 and a Garrard 301. When I owned my VPI Prime, I heard a distinct jump up in SQ with the Phoenix Engineering Falcon and Roadrunner, but after about a month my ears/brain became accommodated and I was no happier, sonically speaking, than I had been before. The Thorens on the other hand, once Greg Metz of ClassicThorens installed his custom designed huge main bearing and top platter along with a complete rebuild of everything else mated to a Reed arm has continued to thrill me for six months and I doubt that thrill is going to go away. Greg is fond of saying that the strobe on the Thorens is more of a curse than a benefit. Users make the mistake of obsessing over the strobe and continually adjusting the eddy brake and in doing so they undershoot and overshoot the speed. Greg suggests just setting the eddy brake at the correct speed once the motor has been running for an hour and then each time you intend to play music, get the table warmed up ahead of time and ignore the strobe. That is exactly what I do. Any variation from perfect speed is not detectable as affecting pitch. Someone above mentioned picking your shortcoming as all drives have them. I look at it just slightly differently; each drive method has it's strengths. Pick which strength you most want rather than pick which shortcoming you wish to avoid.