Best bookshelf speakers

I’m building my first high fi system after being more of a portable audio person. I want to start with the speakers. Space is limited so bookshelf speakers are a must.

Preferences:
Balanced and revealing with a hint of warmth.
Midrange most important to get right over highs and lows
Timbre is super important - I listen mostly to acoustic music especially jazz
But I do need some bass as I also listen to some electronic music
Smaller is better but SQ is most important
A speaker that sounds good with different amps but also scalable with high quality sources
Wide sweet spot - I wont have money for a great amp at first but want them to be scalable for later

These speakers have caught my eyes - any thoughts on them?

Ascend Sierra 2s - Ribbon = dispersion limitations?
BMR Philharmonitor - See above. Also massive.
Buchardt S400/S300 - Wary of the sudden hype train and limited info
Silverline Minuet Grande - Limited info
Reference 3A De Capo - This caught my eye as a potential endgame speaker if I could blow up my budget a little. But concerns about BE tweeter as well as some potential snake oil stuff (cryogenic treatment (!?)), exaggerated sensitivity claims and wonky measurements put me off.

What else should I be looking at?

Edit: I could have sworn I had <$2,000 in the title... Anyway, my budget is 2k.

stuff_jones
+1 on the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2's. I tried several pairs of pretty serious bookshelf speakers (Monitor Audio GR10's, and GX100's - Dynaudio X12's, and Focus 160's) and the Sierra's came out on top. And they are on sale right now.
A couple of years ago I went through the same exercise looking for bookshelf speakers up to $2000.00 (Canadian). I took my son with me as I didn't want to trust my ears alone. For several weekends we tested everything we could get our hands on in our living area taking the same music with us to each session. When I started out I was sure I was going to end up with British brand speakers that had impressed me a few years before. I ended up buying "Paradigm Prestige 15 B" speakers. To this day anyone listening to these speakers in my home are blown away by the amazing quality and depth of sound that comes out of them. They cannot believe the music/sound is coming from just those 2 little speakers. Both my son and I kept going back to the paradigms, nothing else we listened to at the price range could touch them in our estimation. They are my forever speakers for music at this stage of my life.
KEF LS50 wired, i.e., without built-in plate amp and not the wireless version. But as with any bookshelf speakers, you'll need a subwoofer if you want low bass. You may be able to find a pair used for $850 - $1,000.

There are technical reasons why the LS50 sounds so good -- the dual-concentric driver acts as a single point source. This is the best possible design IMHO.

Going back to your question of a while ago, I believe Fritz, Watkins, Silverline (all of which would be great) and a number of others.

You have to wonder what % of the retail cost of a pair of B&W or Focal speakers goes towards their massive advertising budget.

My goodness, reading through this thread I don't think some of you are able to sleep at night without the security of knowing your speakers were designed by a bunch of dudes in white lab coats using a combination of Kevlar, berillyum, adamantium, Clark W. Griswold's experimental cooking spray polymers, and some kind of fish paralyzer.  

To the OP, I'd say buy used.  And if you can hear a pair of Trenner & Friedl bookshelf speakers (either Sun or Art), it would behoove you to do so.  An incredibly big and articulate sound in a small footprint.