Best MM?

I want to try a MM with my Herron VTPH-2a. What's the best one? Maestro 2, Zephyr III, AT VM760SLC? Something else?
dhcod
@lohanimal

The X-1 series of Victor cartridges is great!
This is the only NOS Victor X-1 i’ve been able to find.
Some of them suffer from poor suspension condition, so you never know if unchecked. Stylus protector may cause resonance issues, it was removed later with X-1II series which i like the most and still have a NOS in the box. I like old Garrott p77, but never tried new. Stanton /Pickering top modeals are amazing. Low impedance and very very low output MM versions of Pickering XLZ-4500s or Stanton 980LZS are very interesting and can be connected to the MC input or Step-up. Totally forgotten Ortofon is M20FL Super (Nude Fine Line Diamond) impressed me a lot a few years ago. I don't have a cartridge, but got one NOS D20FL stylus in the box, hope to find a generator for it.  
@chakster 
Whilst I very much accept and believe your premise with regards to certain carts like the JVC x1-ii and pickings with stereohydron styli - the problem is that they are just not available - 
As much as I like my XSV4000 cartridge - very even - great bass - very neutral - it really does lack the magic of my two MC's that to my ears simply sing. I accept that MM's are in fact better trackers, and are actually more accurate (read the Regon audio site by Robert Green which explains this better than I can) - but somehow MC's bring a magic and space that is often hard to define until you hear them. 

Sure, i like some LOMC, currently running Ortofon MC2000 with Gold Note phono stage. Very unusual cartridge, a high compliance MC with extremely low output, low impedance. This cartridge is hard to deal with, very critical about phono stage, wires etc. Sound quality is addictive. 

I've never tried XSV4000, but XSV3000 is a brother of the Stanton 881s (highly regarded in TAS mag back issue). It's $300-400 cartridge, amazing for the money, but not the best from Stanton/Pickering. 

My favorite Stanton CS-100 WOS is highly competitive with any LOMC, the sound of CS-100 WOS is seductive. 

The problem with any MC cartridges is re-tipping (imo).  
Totally agree with you about re-tipping @chakster .

I am hoping to be set up with a couple of decks so then it is the MM for everyday listening, Denon for dems, the shelter for proper listening and the Transfiguration Temper when I want the best. I am led to believe that a good record cleaning regime will prolong cartridge life.
I have the perfect phono stage for the MC2000 - the Vendetta SCP2A. 
As much as I like my XSV4000 cartridge - very even - great bass - very neutral - it really does lack the magic of my two MC's that to my ears simply sing. 

That depends on what you consider magic.  I consider the sound from these great MM cartridges as very magical and RIGHT sounding.