... POORLY RECORDED SONGS THAT ...

Hello to all...

Was thinking about the songs I luv, that are so poorly recorded that it hurts my ears to listen to them - but because they are so great I just can't help myself 'cause they really moves me:

MEATLOAF: BAT OUTTA HELL

SPRINGSTEIN: ROSELITTA

NICKELBACK: BURN IT DOWN

Can you give me a couple or more, that you think are really great songs and such a disappointment in how they come across recorded (on vinyl, CD, Cassette or whatever...)

justvintagestuff
Got out my Fresh Cream lp for a listen on my system Bakers drums and cymbals are as good or better than any other rock lp from 67. Lets not forget too that this was probably a first for recording power rock.Maybe the problem is in the system you are listening on.
michael, thank you very much for looking into this. You must have a wonderful system.

Reviewers have complained about this album and it has similar DR to the Metallica album that first set off the contemporary loudness wars. Three measurements (two CDs and downloadable file) confirm exactly the same numbers so it is fairly clear that the DR is not there from a technical standpoint. Which could call into question the validity of the measurement software. Interestingly the vinyl has much better DR.

I guess if things continue down this road and I feel compelled to modify my system to accommodate bad recordings I will be in need of your expertise. Thanks again. You have been helpful and patient.

Edited to add:

Agree. It is an interesting album. Still impressed with the musicianship. A pretty daring turn for the band as well.

After relistening I am actually impressed with the soundstage. Quite broad and deep. Unfortunately even at about 1/3 volume I'm actually hearing some distortion of the bass, if not clipping. Not sure. And for the record, my system renders most bass very accurately and pleasingly to me.....even under torture tests like Saint-Saenz's organ symphony.

@johnto, recording Cream (and Hendrix) WAS a challenge for the old school engineers in ’67, but it wasn’t because of the drums. Clapton and Hendrix hadn’t learned that their stage amps (Marshall stacks) were not appropriate or best for recording. Jimi was probably still recording with them when he died, but Eric soon enough learned that a small combo amp (low power, a single 12" driver) makes for much better recorded sound that a high powered amp and 8 drivers (what is in a stack). The amps/speakers were so loud at such a low volume setting on the amp, that to get "good tone" (tube distortion), they had to use stomp boxes, which simulate the natural distortion produced by a low-powered tube amp, at which they are only partially successful. Hendrix and Clapton sounded much better live than on record.

Recording Ginger Baker’s drums was no problem; Buddy Rich (and Keith Moon) played MUCH louder than Baker. As for his drum sound, that is of course a matter of taste. Levon Helm’s drums and cymbals on The Band’s Music From Big Pink album (recorded in early ’68) sound the way I like drums and cymbals to sound. Ringo Starr’s taste aligns with mine, but you are entitled to your opinion.

My opinion on the sound of Baker’s drums and cymbals is not based on hearing them through hi-fi speakers alone; I saw and heard him in Cream twice, in ’67 and ’68. Live, his drums and cymbals sounded just as they did and do on my system. That system has, over the years, included McIntosh, ARC, Atma-Sphere, NYAL, Herron, AVA, Levinson, Esoteric, and Music Reference electronics, AR, Thorens, VPI, and Townshend Audio tables, SME, Decca, Well Tempered, Formula 4, Rega, Helius, and Zeta arms, Decca, Grado, Shure, assorted mc, and London cartridges, and Quad (original), Magneplanar (Tympani T-I, T-IVa), Fulton (Model J), ESS (Transtatic I), Infinity (RS-1b), and Eminent Technology (LFT 4, LFT-8b) loudspeakers, and Stax (Lambda Pro) and Beyer Dynamic headphones. I don’t think "the problem is in the system you are (I am) listening on", it’s in your taste in drum and cymbal sound ;-) .

Hi n80

I'm glad your liking Sound & Color more, I messed around with it off and on today. Pretty cool recording! Thanks for turning me on to it.

I'm not having any problem with the bass, kind of reminds me of "FUN". Once tuned in a little it's an electronic membrane type of sound. I can see where someone would say distorted till they get it dialed in, but when tuned in it blends nicely.

I'm able to turn mine up or down without any issues as long as I adjust the bottom slightly.

michael

So would you say that with the right system tuning the quality of the recording, in terms of DR compression and loudness, is of no real consequence?