Denon DL 103 modifications and re-body questions thread

Dear all

I bought a DL103r to see what the fuss is all about, and found it fairly pleasant. Many people go on about re-bodying the cartridge so I took the plunge and bought an aluminium body.

I have noticed a few threads that are a bit disparate on these questions - the first question on my list being what I needed answered, but it would be helpful if thoughts can be posted on the other questions from those with the know how.

1. Should I glue the cartridge into the new body
2. What glue should I use
3. What are the characteristics of the various materials
4. Should I re-tip
5. What sort of new tip
6. who should I get to re-tip
7. Best arm matches
8. best tracking weight

lohanimal
Post removed 
Post removed 
If you bought DL-103r cartridge just to invest more in retipping that awful conical stylus (or even cantilever) and then to invest even more to replace the body of a cartridge, i just don’t undestand why not just buy a good MC that does not require any additional investement at all?

It seems like you bought a cartridge first and then asking about tonearm for it ? But this particular cartridge require ONLY superheavy old-fashioned tonearm (high mass) like Fidelity-Research FR-64s and related. If you could only check Fidelity-Research cartridge  (like PMC-3 or FR-7f series)  in comparison to DL-103r then, i’m affraid, the best place for DL-103 is a recycle bin.

I agree with Chakster and Glen.  And Rob, please explain why an MC cartridge would per se have a lower "noise floor" than an MM cartridge.  I can't think of a justification for that generalization.  In fact, the facts might suggest that the opposite is the case.  It certainly would be if you use an active gain stage (rather than a SUT) to amplify the output of an MC.
My 2 cents...

I purchased a 103 from Soundsmith - with the Optimized contour line contact stylus + ruby cantilever and I am extremely happy with it - details galore and very quiet.

However - the setup is CRITICAL and you really require a mirror style protractor like the Mint Best Protractor in order achieve the precision required for this type of stylus - AND great eyesight!

I might try the elliptical stylus next time - my understanding is that you do not have to be so precise with the setup.

I did epoxy the cartridge onto a brass shim, which improved it's match to the arm and improved cartridge performance - along the lines of the aluminum headshell - cost me only $12 :-) 

see: http://image99.net/blog/files/23c020f75290d3392577113371f4dc94-38.html

I used regular clear epoxy from the hardware store and it hasn't shaken loose yet.

The 103 is one of the most tweaked cartridges out there, so I figure there must be something about them that makes people - like a guy in Italy that completely rebuilds them - to keep applying what seems like insane upgrades.

Good luck with your tweaking - Steve