Is it time to just quit?

Time to just quit?                      
Buying audio stuff?                             
Posting to an empty house?                          
My gut feeling is no one is posting in the regular 'free' threads. Maybe they all are paying to post? I could not know, since I am way too cheap to pay to just post 'exclusive'.  Being natural paranoid, I think everyone is posting over there, not here?                                       
Then I also just hit my limit on credit card Paypal. Now I have to become "verified' or no Paypal.    
This also happened at a fortuitous moment, when I was starting to overspend...             
So no buying OR selling here for me (unless I am willing to get the Paypal CC. Which I have to think about)So maybe the Universe is telling me "Time to quit".???  
Not quit listening to music, just NOT buying more stuff and NOT posting more gibberish.
elizabeth
Mapman,
I agree with you. Syntax’s analogy may indeed apply to his experiences. I’ve experienced wonderful music listening sessions with digital and analogue sources. I certainly don't  get the impression Elizabeth is experiencing "ice cube showers" with her Marantz DAC.
Charles
I can verify that the SA-10 that me and Elizabeth have and others is very very good. #%€$ good. With playing a great digital mastered CD it  will reveal the limitations of my TT. Sibilence, surface noise, mistracking. Its seductive and makes me lazy to get up and spin a record, I don't always run the cardas clean sweep record. (It does make a difference in that I have been doing it consistently as of late). I don't think its much of the SA-10s fault if some CDs come out as a 🦃. You can dress up a turkey but it will still be a turkey. If I'm experiencing ice showers its because the water is hard. Back to the records. Some or most have that warm analog glow kinda like how tubes introduce distortion that is ear friendly. I live happily with both. 

What an enjoyable discussion. 

The entire universe is on a sine wave. Audiophilia included. “Go with the flow”. Presumably there’s a larger intelligence in the background holding the baton. They say it’s trying to help. 

And one great but seldom mentioned benefit of these forums:  funny posts. To all the witty audiophiles:  keep working!  
Jim Heckman
Elizabeth, you are one of the few people whose posts I always read.

To provide my humble input to your post, I have the same system I assembled in 1991 starting with Cary Audio’s Tubed Class A Preamp and Monoblocks with Maggies 3.7s. Tubes and Ribbons were what I wanted. For Redbook CD, I bought a Rega Planet when they came out in mid 1990 as I liked the top-loading feature. It is used as a transport which is connected to a Genesis Digital Time Lens and on to a Theta DS Pro Basic II DAC. There is magical synergy with these components. They were leading edge components of their day and still hard to beat for pure musicality. I can transport Sarah Vaughn or Anna Netrebko right into the room. My interconnects are all Mogami studio. My reasoning was if music was recorded in the studio with Mogami, it stood to reason it would work in my system for playback. Reasoanbly priced to boot. The only addition was incorporating my Mac into the system to take advantage of online libraries to supplement my CD-based listening. It is connected via USB to a s/pdif converter and into the time lens.

Aside from that, I have only ever purchased music. I have incorporated a few select tweaks in the intervening years but the system has been ‘locked’ since mid 1990. It sounded great then and sounds great now. I should also add that I ‘graduated’ to this configuration after years of swapping components in a never-ending chase of ‘better’ sound. I made the decision to return to tubes and after hearing ribbons, I never looked back.

Hope that lends some credibility to the notion of getting off the buying bandwagon. Are there better components? Yes, but I have chosen to save that money for music. My Redbook CD playback is nothing short of sublime to me and all who listen.

Please consider staying. I enjoy your input.
elizabeth

I will second, the Ani DiFranco debut disc.  Feel free to talk about possible gear additions from your list. I cannot imagine that you do not have your room, system, dialed-in after all of these years. Hope you are well and enjoying this Holiday season. Keep posting here and other Audio forums. I enjoy your musings and writings.

Happy Listening!