Digital, Low Mass, ClassD, Less expensive, Let it happen!

Well here we are! Not that you can't go back and buy boat anchors, but now we know sound is better with low mass designs. Digital source? Yep, the tide has turned. ClassD amplification is also here to stay. Lower mass speakers, on their way back too. The audiophile hobby is getting less expensive and better sounding.

I guess we can debate this, but it's happening anyway. The hobby is simply growing up and becoming more aware of how to get great sound, and get it smart. There has been a lot of myths passed down when we only had paperback magazines, mostly for marketing, but the internet has finally caught up with audio reality. Instead of $20,000.00 components we have $20,000.00 whole systems (including all the trimming). Shoot, there are $5,000.00 systems that excel. The Trade Shows are changing, the market is changing and we are changing. Want to stay old school? No problem, there will always be old school and plenty of used gear (at least for our lifetimes). There will also be smaller niche companies that spring up to tempt us.

The hobby is entering a new era for the extreme listener. It will be a hobby of doing and exploring Electrical, Mechanical and Acoustical as equals. Components will be much smaller and more flexible, and more time will be spent on playing our whole music collection, and not just a few recordings. Many HEA debates will be making their way to the archives as the hobby grows closer to mainstream. Mainstream as in higher quality audiophile mainstream.

Are you ready? I sure am!

Michael Green

http://www.michaelgreenaudio.net/

128x128michaelgreenaudio
I’ve always been a fan of simple well made $1000 systems.

It takes effort on the part of the user of such, though.

Most throw money at it trying to get it to work, when effort is the part that makes it work. Throwing money at the problem can be ineffective and take far longer to get the same spot that could have been reached years earlier via effort.

Learn. Grow. think. Logic. All in the service of the emotions we attempt to invoke, when hearing great reproduction.

Most folks who are here, though, are enthusiasts and tend to put in some to more effort.

$1000?

sure.

Buy the right speakers. Upgrade them.

Buy the right amplifier. Upgrade it.

Buy the right source device. Upgrade it.

Buy the right cables.. Of course, upgrading here can be a problem.

Sites that cater to the DIY audio enthusiast have fairly large followings. Such groups probably outnumber the percentage of people on audiophile forums. There is a reason for that.

Not a fan of class D, though. The sound they produce is mostly noise/hash, misheard as detail, due to how the ear processes signal. Most audio equipment (pretty well 100%, actually) is guilty of this sort of sin. A little of each, darker and noise/hash as detail a a pair of sonic bookends. It is literally the nature of electronics. Class D pushes this too far in the one direction. It can take time to discern this point.

Class D will probably take the same path as Digital. Where it (digital) was a step backward at first, and felt by some to be superior and pushed as superior. This (digital) was uniquely a industry wide corporate push, though. Then over the next 20-30 years, it (class D and digital) approaches the quality of what was available before in the prior technology, and then it is realized, openly, at that time...that it was a degradation, not an advance. But we’re much better now! Really! (will be the admission in 20 years, re Class D......)

But hey, if folks like it and it makes for them having fun with tunes, who am I to argue.

Yep, I think we’ll all have enough fun. The guys who probably won’t be having fun are the ones left behind arguing about what they think distortion is.

As far as digital, I loved it in the beginning and I love it now. A lot of folks who don't like digital for the most part haven't learned how to play it.

mg

I am definitely on board the whole free wheelin’ low mass train 🚂 Toot! Toot! Not counting my elaborate seismic iso stand, which is quite massive and tricked out, the system itself is only 24 ounces, including Grado headphones and Panasonic portable CD player, made in Japan. Obviously when you go very low mass as I have you not only shed a lot of pounds but a lot of things that produce noise and distortion.