The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions
There isn't anything bad about class D that $20K worth of cables and a $10K power cable couldn't fix...Just sayn...Jim
Post removed 
I've never listened to a class D amp but I own a class A amp that I love so there's no reason for me to. I'm good for many years and with all of you buying them, I'm sure they'll be amazing when I'm ready.

How many people have had a good run of class D amps and switched back to A/AB? That's what I'm interested in. They say over 90% of Toyota Prius owners only ever own one Prius, meaning they go back to a full time gasser. This morning on the morning show they said electric cars are not going to take off for another 15 years. Where are we at with class D right now? Everyone keeps saying that the future is class D but where is that in the future?

I doubt their time will ever come. We're not talking about cars here where the real limit of their acceptance isn't the technology you directly interact with. It's the technology you don't directly interact with; the batteries with their limited power density and charge time. Technologically, no class D amp will ever compete with a class A amp. It's simply impossible to build a class D amp that reaches out to 500,000Hz and doesn't burp driving DC into a 2 ohm load. Complicated 6, 7, and 8 stage circuits had their heyday back in the 70's and have given way to more and more simple topologies and I think class D will be a fad we look back on in the 30's like we do the early 70's gear now. 

" Where are we at with class D right now? Everyone keeps saying that the future is class D but where is that in the future?"

It's already here and has been for a few years. When the CES happens this year I'm not sure we will see any Class A amplifiers on the main floor, maybe not any at all. Don't quote me, I don't have an exhibitors list in front of me. What I do have is an apartment a few blocks away from the CES and have seen HEA, in general, go from cutting edge front and center to almost invisible at the biggest electronic show in the world.

I don't think Kosst saying class D is a fad resonates much with innovative audio companies of today. I also don't think the current young generation of audiophiles care to see huge amplifiers sitting in the middle of their living rooms. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen this. A bunch of old farts, as we are, aren't going to tell the younger generation much about the way they are setting up their stereos.

I'm not trying to offend but the OP says "future" not nursing home bencher audiophiles. Trying to say these massive space heaters are going to somehow become the future is not very realistic. I have many amplifiers, some dating back to the 60's. They're all enjoyable for one reason or another. I'm listening to one from the 70's as I write this. Even though I'm enjoying this amp I can hold in my hand this other little Class D amp and realize the truth. I can also setup this little Class D, tune it, and be right in line with my other amps. Now, I can choose any of my amps to listen to, but reality is reality.

mg