Blu Ray Player

Hi all!

I am new to the blu ray world. I just bought a receiver that has DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. So does that mean if I buy a blu ray player, it needs to have DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD built in decoder as well? I just want to find a blu ray player that will handle DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD for my receiver.

Also, when I buy a blu ray movies, do I need to make sure that it has DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD?

Also, what are some good quality blu ray players? I was looking at brands like:

- Samsung
- Sony
- Pioneer
- Philips
- Magnavox
- Panasonic
- Sharp
- LG

Thanks for any advice!!!
mantaraydesign
Mooglie, I was looking at the JVC XV-BP1 and it looks pretty nice. I want to ask you something. On the front face, there are 5 buttons on the left side, do all the blue lights up or is it just a blue plastic surrounding each button? Also, there seems to be a blue light line that goes vertical in the middle on the front face.

I tell you what, JVC and Samsung makes some pretty nice looking products not. They have improved their designs a lot! Back then, their products looks awful!!!

Only problem with their current products is that all the products don't match! For example, the JVC XV-BP1 looks really cool but their regular DVD player don't match with their Blu-Ray player. The same goes for Samsung and probably many companies out there.

I have an audio rack and I would like to fill my audio rack with all the same manufacturer line. If JVC can design a Receiver, DVD player, Blu-Ray player, CD player and they all matches each other would be fantastic looking audio rack!!!

It's hard to find a company that make all matching products. By the way, why don't eithere Samsung or JVC make Receivers anymore? Don't they use to make receivers and CD players???
To get the DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD sounds, do you connect the Blu-Ray player to your receiver using HDMI cable or can you use either optical cable or coaxial cable? I was looking at some of the user's manual on Blu-Ray players and got confused on hooking it up to a receiver.

Can I get DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD sounds by doing this:

1. For video, connect the Blu-Ray player using HDMI directly to my TV.

2. For audio, using either the optical cable or coaxial cable directly to the receiver.

Will my 2 steps above work to get the best video and audio? If not, what are other ways to get DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD sounds coming from my receiver?
Optical/coax cannot handle dtsHD or DTHD. HDMI or analog outputs only.

Kal
The JVC XV-BP1 has a blue bar and blue back-lit buttons. A bit of "bling", but I can live with it for the performance of the unit.

Page 36 of the owners manual (on-line) describes the audio outputs for each connection. To get the HD codecs I suspect you would need to run HDMI to the receiver and then to the TV. I had a Samsung before, and it was terrible! Perhaps the newer ones are better. The biggest problem is having to get software updates to run newer discs. Seems the studios are always playing around with the BD-Java. Samsung was slow in providing updates.

Another thing is some units are "picky" or slow loading discs. So far, the JVC has played everything I've tried, and loads quickly. It feels more like a DVD player. On the AVS Forum some are calling it the "poor mans OPPO" (referring to the BDP-83).
Alright, now there are way to many HDMI cables out there. Does it matter what brand I use? Are all HDMI cables alike? Some brands cost more than others. Like Monster Cable which makes a lot of cables. But can a generic brand HDMI cable perform just as good as Monster Cable? Or is it just a marketing thing with Monster Cable and other well known brand names?