Blu Ray Player

Hi all!

I am new to the blu ray world. I just bought a receiver that has DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. So does that mean if I buy a blu ray player, it needs to have DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD built in decoder as well? I just want to find a blu ray player that will handle DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD for my receiver.

Also, when I buy a blu ray movies, do I need to make sure that it has DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD?

Also, what are some good quality blu ray players? I was looking at brands like:

- Samsung
- Sony
- Pioneer
- Philips
- Magnavox
- Panasonic
- Sharp
- LG

Thanks for any advice!!!
mantaraydesign
Optical/coax cannot handle dtsHD or DTHD. HDMI or analog outputs only.

Kal
The JVC XV-BP1 has a blue bar and blue back-lit buttons. A bit of "bling", but I can live with it for the performance of the unit.

Page 36 of the owners manual (on-line) describes the audio outputs for each connection. To get the HD codecs I suspect you would need to run HDMI to the receiver and then to the TV. I had a Samsung before, and it was terrible! Perhaps the newer ones are better. The biggest problem is having to get software updates to run newer discs. Seems the studios are always playing around with the BD-Java. Samsung was slow in providing updates.

Another thing is some units are "picky" or slow loading discs. So far, the JVC has played everything I've tried, and loads quickly. It feels more like a DVD player. On the AVS Forum some are calling it the "poor mans OPPO" (referring to the BDP-83).
Alright, now there are way to many HDMI cables out there. Does it matter what brand I use? Are all HDMI cables alike? Some brands cost more than others. Like Monster Cable which makes a lot of cables. But can a generic brand HDMI cable perform just as good as Monster Cable? Or is it just a marketing thing with Monster Cable and other well known brand names?
I have not yet detected any differences in performance with short lengths (1-2meters) and use fancy cables interchangeably with those from Monoprice. For the long cables and those I put in the wall(!), I have used some fancy brands, if only to sleep better.

My recommendation, though, is to look at cables (or adapters) which will more firmly anchor the connections than does the standard HDMI connector. That, IMHO, is the Achilles' Heel for all of them.

Kal
Well, so far, I like the JVC XV-BP1 for the modern new look and performance. Too bad JVC don't make design matching CD player, receiver and DVD player to the Blu-Ray XV-BP1 model. I would love to have the whole matching set for my audio rack. It has some nice styling to it. Maybe their next line will all matches! Samsung also makes nice looking Blu-Ray players but not matching set as well.

I saw other pricier Blu-Ray players but they looked quite boring. I am sure they all perform at the same level regardless of prices. In reality, nobody you bring home to watch movies will start criticizing the quality of your Blu-Ray player. Like your friends are going to bring their magnifying glasses and come closeup to your TV and get all technical and detail. ha ha ha

I have auditioned some Blu-Ray players from $50 - $500 and they looked the same to me in picture quality.